[comp.mail.uucp] NO DEVICE

earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) (11/19/86)

I'm trying to talk UUCP to some other JPL sites over a broadband network
utilizing Ungermann-Bass NIU's, connected to a serial port on a Sun-2/170.
For some reason, UUCp will not talk to the port (/dev/ttya), yet `tip' and
`kermit' have no qualms about it whatsoever.  My uucico log looks like:

>/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sothersys -x9
>finds called
>getto called
>call: no. ttya for sys othersys NO DEVICE exit code 0

/dev/ttya:
crw-rw-rw-  1 root     wheel     12,   0 Nov 18 20:52 /dev/ttya
(I tried chown uucp /dev/ttya and it didn't help)
(chmod 777 did nothing either)

L.sys:
othersys	SuMoTuWeThFrSa0000-2359 \
		DIR 9600 ttya "" ^V >>-BREAK\r^V->> connect\sskal2\r\c\
		Success. \r\c\  (etc.)

L-devices:
DIR ttya unused 9600
(`0' in place of `unused' makes no difference)

------
Since I don't have UUCP source in front of me, I don't know what conditions
UUCP requires for a successful opening of the device.  I had assumed that
`tip' would do an exclusive open of the device, so I can't figure out why
it is that `tip' can do it, but `uucico' can't.  I figured it had to be a
trivial thing like device access permissions, but it escapes me ...

BTW, I have observed the same problem on a Sun-3/160M-8 running Sun OS 3.0
as well.
--
	Greg Earle		UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle; attmail!earle
	JPL			ARPA: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu

Will this never-ending series of PLEASURABLE EVENTS never cease?

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (11/22/86)

Expires:

-
->/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -sothersys -x9
->finds called
->getto called
->call: no. ttya for sys othersys NO DEVICE exit code 0
-
-L-devices:
-DIR ttya unused 9600

The format of the L-devices file is:
Caller Line Useful Class Dialer [Chat ...]
At least here, the dialer field is required which should be 'direct', so
try this:
DIR ttya unused 9600 direct
--
Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}