[comp.mail.uucp] smail under 2.9

edward@ukecc.uky.csnet (Edward C. Bennett) (12/09/86)

Has anyone out there installed smail on a PDP-11 running BSD2.9? Do I have
to use sendmail? (All I want to do is forward everything to our MMDF machine.)
What about the no-pathalias-on-16-bit-machines problem?

Well, I needed something to do over Christmas ;-)

--
Edward C. Bennett			UUCP: cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward
					CSNET: edward@engr.uky.csnet

campbell@maynard.UUCP (12/10/86)

In article <912@ukecc.uky.csnet> edward@ukecc.uky.csnet (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>Has anyone out there installed smail on a PDP-11 running BSD2.9? Do I have
>to use sendmail? (All I want to do is forward everything to our MMDF machine.)
>What about the no-pathalias-on-16-bit-machines problem?

Reasonable facsimile:  I have installed smail on a DEC Rainbow running
VENIX/86 (a V7 port).  I had to fix a couple of bugs, nothing major.
If there's any interest I can post the patches -- I've already sent them
to the smail maintainers.

Forwarding:  I installed the smail patch from National Semiconductor that
allows you to specify a "forwarding-relay" host to which all mail with
unresolvable addresses is forwarded.  Works great.

16-bit pathalias problem:  I have a version of pathalias converted to use
a temp file instead of memory for the link database.  It is ridiculously
slow, but it does work on my little Rainbow.  It takes about ten hours now
to crunch the whole uucp map.  If there's interest, I'll post the thing.
(I didn't write the modifications, but the person who did indicated that
he doesn't have time to post it, respond to bug reports, etc.)
--
Larry Campbell				     The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com	    120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109