[comp.mail.uucp] What doamin do private machines

thomas@ista.UUCP (Matt Thomas) (12/27/86)

What domain do private machines (such as PCs) belong in?  [I would like to
register ista in a "real" dmoain but as of yet I haven't figured which one
it belongs in.  For now I'm using .UUCP]

I can't see them belonging in .COM (not commercial), .EDU (not an
educational institution), .GOV (not governmental), or .MIL (etc.).  Do we
need another domain or would you put them in a domain such as (for me)
.CA.USA?  Who would manage this [new] domain?

Ideas, anyone?

matt

--
Matt Thomas			      Internet: ptsfa!ista!thomas@lll-lcc.arpa
Systems	Engineer			  UUCP: ...!ptsfa!ista!thomas

[This space intentionally left blank]

david@dhw68k.UUCP (David H. Wolfskill) (12/28/86)

In article <2847@ista.UUCP>, thomas@ista.UUCP (Matt Thomas) writes:
> What domain do private machines (such as PCs) belong in?  [I would like to
> register ista in a "real" dmoain but as of yet I haven't figured which one
> it belongs in.  For now I'm using .UUCP]
>
> I can't see them belonging in .COM (not commercial), .EDU (not an
> educational institution), .GOV (not governmental), or .MIL (etc.).  Do we
> need another domain or would you put them in a domain such as (for me)
> .CA.USA?  Who would manage this [new] domain?

Since I have the same problem, I'm offering moral support.  Perhaps it
would help to get some idea what the magnitude of the problem is?  (But
we probably shouldn't flood the network with a broadcast message from
each private machine on the net....)  I'm willing to help if I can.

david
--
...{trwrb | hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!david