[comp.mail.uucp] No wonder ihnp4 is overloaded

reid@sask.UUCP (Trying to stay warm) (12/19/86)

I just looked at the entry for ihnp4 in the UUCP map (in u.usa.il.a.2).
Everybody and his dog claims to have an hourly or better connection to
ihnp4.

As more and more people run automatic routing software, more and more
messages go through ihnp4; after all, according to pathalias it can't be
beat.  ihnp4 gets more and more load, which means it gets slower and slower
and less reliable, which means people send their mail again to try to get
through, which means ihnp4 gets more load, ...

Simple Solution #1:

Everybody stop pretending they can talk to ihnp4 every hour.  Change all the
entries in the paths database from "HOURLY" to "DAILY" (maybe even "WEEKLY",
given how it's been doing lately :-)).  Set up your mail links so that we
all make better use of network connectivity, instead of trying to force
everything through one (oh so critical) path.

 - irving "who you gonna call?" reid -
--
reid@sask.uucp                     {alberta, ihnp4, utcsri}!sask!reid

Ho boys, can't you code it, and program it right...
				(Nigel Russel, "White Collar Holler")

reid@sask.UUCP (Trying to stay warm) (12/20/86)

In article <537@sask.UUCP>, reid@sask.UUCP (Trying to stay warm) writes:
> Simple Solution #1:
> Everybody stop pretending they can talk to ihnp4 every hour.  Change all the
> entries in the paths database from "HOURLY" to "DAILY" (maybe even "WEEKLY",
> given how it's been doing lately :-)).

[this is a forwarded posting from someone who doesn't run netnews]
>From ihnp4!umich!dwon!honey Sat Dec 20 08:48:49 1986

if ihnp4 were to adjust their data as you suggest, the new figures
would propagate into routes, and the reduced load on ihnp4 would
suggest a smaller value, possibly less than HOURLY.  (this is called
overdamping.)  oh well.  to ihnp4's credit, they used to advertise
DEMAND, but adjusted upwards for more accurate data.

someone, i think kre, hacked in a pathalias option that adds a
penalty to the cost of all paths through a given site (as in
pathalias -a ihnp4 ...).  this allows tweaking the paths without
mucking with the input files.  somday, i'll re-post pathalias to
mod.sources, and everyone will have this capability.

i don't run netnews anymore, so i'd appreciate it if you'd post this
to net.mail for me.

	peter
--
reid@sask.USask     reid@sask.uucp      {alberta, ihnp4, utcsri}!sask!reid

Ho boys, can't you code it, and program it right...
				(Nigel Russel, "White Collar Holler")

In article <537@sask.UUCP>, reid@sask.UUCP (Trying to stay warm) writes:
> As more and more people run automatic routing software, more and more
> messages go through ihnp4; after all, according to pathalias it can't be
> beat.  ihnp4 gets more and more load, [...vicious circle...]

> Simple Solution #1:

> Everybody stop pretending they can talk to ihnp4 every hour.

Simple Solution #2:

Everybody stop believing the sites who claim an HOURLY connection to
ihnp4.  When we run pathalias we declare ihnp4 dead on the command line
for precisely this reason - it simply isn't as reliable as the maps say
it is.

Now if we can just get the intermediate sites to stop rewriting the
path so it once more goes through ihnp4....

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

PS.  Hmmmm....mebbe I better take ihnp4 out of the first .signature
line?  Naaah, then AT&T people wouldn't know how to reach me....