[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP-* Gateways

rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP (Robert J. Sweeney) (01/04/87)

Can someone let me know the format for sending a message to a user
on any of the following networks:

ARPA
CSNET
JANET

.. or any other gateways you may know of?  I'm working on MAIL
documentation for neophytes and would greatly appreciate any
assistance anyone could offer regarding UUCP-elsewhere gateways.

Thanks,

--
Robert Sweeney           {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!\
Datamerica Systems        {harpo,bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!rsweeney

ccjoan@ucdavis.UUCP (ccjoan) (01/05/87)

> Can someone let me know the format for sending a message to a user
> on any of the following networks:
>
> ARPA
> CSNET
> JANET

There is a very well written article in the October 1986
Communications of the ACM, Volume 29, Number 10, "Notable
Computer Networks" by John S. Quarterman and Josiah C. Hoskins
that describes the major networks and how to route mail
between them.  The networks covered are:  Arpanet, CSNET,
Mailnet, Janet, EAN, Cosac, Bitnet, Acsnet, UUCP and Junet.

It's a reference I wouldn't want to do without.

Joan Gargano
University of California, Davis
Computer Center, Postmaster
ucbvax!ucdavis!ccjoan

sjl@ukc.ac.uk (S.J.Leviseur) (01/06/87)

In article <181@dasys1.UUCP> rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP (Robert J. Sweeney) writes:
>Can someone let me know the format for sending a message to a user
>on any of the following networks:
>
>ARPA
>CSNET
>JANET

ukc is the JANET-UUCP gateway. To mail sites on JANET use;

	..!ukc!janetsite!user
or
	user%janetsite@ukc

JANET has the domain ordering reversed, the address starts at
the large end. This means that the ukc address on JANET is
UK.AC.UKC rather than the normal ordering, UKC.AC.UK. This may
account for some of the strange .signatures seen in articles.
At the ukc UUCP->JANET gateway the address will be rewritten
into a suitable form for JANET regardless of the ordering used.

The JANET site needs to be registered for international mail
with ukc in order to use the JANET-UUCP gateway. Virtually all
sites in the UK world map are registered.

	sean

	sjl@ukc
	postmaster@ukc