[comp.mail.uucp] How to make smail handle non-UUCP paths

matt@ncr-sd.UUCP (Matt Costello) (01/16/87)

In article <489@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>  ..... This all started because I am
>trying to install "smail", a back end to sendmail(8) recently posted to
>mod.sources which supposedly handles domain-based addresses. My experience
>shows that it would probably drop right in *if* all our connections were
>via UUCP. Unfortunately they are not, and all the non-uucp links are giving
>me fits. I'd like to ask those out there who ARE running "smail" for help.

Locally we use a version of smail that has been heavily modified.  It
handles routing of mail to more that just UUCP.  It uses a configuration
file and the pathalias file(s) to both route and transport mail via anything
you might possibly want.  By using the colon addressing provided by
pathalias we can create the lines below:

	ihnp4	via-uux:ihnp4!%s
	cems	via-cems:cems!%s
	ncr-sd	%s

The name in front of the colon is a 'mailer' and is defined in the
configuration file.  These mailers define the transport mechanism.
The mailers that we currently use are:

via-uux		The normal UUCP transport mechanism
local		Deliver mail to local mailboxes
nameserver	A user directory so addresses can be symbolic
via-cems	A gateway to CompuServe
via-pmdf	Introduce mail into PMDF (for CSNET)
via-printer	Send mail to hardcopy to delivery
maildist	Used to distribute paths files and the user database
via-reroute	To reroute mail around a dead host

This version of smail has been sent back to Larry Auton <lda@clyde.att.com>,
the smail maintainer, and will probably be made available by him.  He hasn't
had it too long so don't pester him too hard.  We don't have have sendmail
(and don't want it) so smail doesn't do headers.

--
Matt Costello, matt.costello@SanDiego.NCR.COM (registered w/ CSNET)
	{sdcsvax,cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA,ihnp4}!ncr-sd!matt