[comp.mail.uucp] DecNet info; DecNet and UUCP mail routes

irwillumsen@watnot.UUCP (Ian) (01/15/87)

I am wondering whether or not there is a body of information on DECnet
that I can get hold of.  I am particularly wondering about how one gets
mail to a DECnet site.  I am trying to get hold of a site I believe to
be on that network (U of Lethbridge).

I hope this is the right newsgroup.  Nevertheless, I hoping that you
folks can be of help.

Ian Willumsen.

{Alberta,ubc-vision,utzoo}!watmath!watnot!irwillumsen.

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <12356@watnot.UUCP> irwillumsen@watnot.UUCP (Ian) writes:
>I am wondering whether or not there is a body of information on DECnet
>that I can get hold of.

Ask your local Digital Equipment Corporation sales representative.
DECnet is a set of protocols implemented (usually) on their machines
by their software.

>I am particularly wondering about how one gets mail to a DECnet site.

By sending it from another DECnet site.  It helps if that other DECnet
site speaks some other network protocol as well, because then it
likely can act as a `router' to transfer mail between DECnet machines
and machines that speak that other network protocol.  If that other
network protocol is something like that spoken in the UUCP, TCP/IP, or
BITNET worlds, you're in luck because then you can get to it from the
outside world.  Like here.

>I am trying to get hold of a site I believe to be on that network (U
>of Lethbridge).

It is likely that that University has some DEC machines that speak
DECnet.  Many do.  But DECnet is not a widely distributed group of
systems like the `worlds' mentioned above.

What you need to do is to encourage the person at that University that
you wish to correspond with, to ask around and see if there are any
gateway machines to the outside world.  Their local gurus can tell the
both of you how to correspond, if it's possible.

--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277