[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP mail for VMS

aden@orion.UUCP (Gerald M. Aden) (01/08/87)

Does anyone out there know if there is a way to send UUCP mail to a
VMS VAX?

Thanks in advance,
Gerald Aden
...!hplabs!sdcrdcf!trwrb!orion!aden

perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Rick Perry) (01/11/87)

In article <47@orion.UUCP>, aden@orion.UUCP (Gerald M. Aden) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a way to send UUCP mail to a
> VMS VAX?

We have vms uucp, it handles mail and file transfers.
We got it from:

             Kevin Carosso
             Hughes Aircraft Company
             Space & Communications Group
             Bldg. S50, M/S X303
             Box 92919
             Los Angeles, CA 90009
             (213) 648-1025

...Rick			..{cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa}!vu-vlsi!perry
			perry@vuvaxcom.bitnet

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/14/87)

In article <47@orion.UUCP>, aden@orion.UUCP (Gerald M. Aden) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if there is a way to send UUCP mail to a
> VMS VAX?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gerald Aden
> ...!hplabs!sdcrdcf!trwrb!orion!aden

Is this VAX on Bitnet? If yes, you can use (using my site as an
example)

	mail sask!ihnp4!vax.BITNET!user

where vax is the Bitnet node name for that machine and user is the name
of the user on that vax; and !ihnp4 is where we (and the rest of the world)
talk to.

Hope this helps!

Peter Kuo                    Bitnet (VMS address)    : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory              (UUCP address)   : "skatter!kuo@sask.uucp"
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan          uucp (unix address)   : !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan             (Bitnet address) : !ihnp4!sask.BITNET!kuo
CANADA  S7N 0W0
Tel. (306) 966-6059

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]

brian@scgvaxd.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <562@vu-vlsi.UUCP> perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Rick Perry) writes:
>In article <47@orion.UUCP>, aden@orion.UUCP (Gerald M. Aden) writes:
>> Does anyone out there know if there is a way to send UUCP mail to a
>> VMS VAX?
>
>We have vms uucp, it handles mail and file transfers.
>We got it from:
>
>	Kevin Carosso
	[old address deleted]

Kevin has moved.  He's now in the same building I'm in.  The correct
address for him is now:

	Hughes Aircraft Company
	Space & Communications Group
	Bldg. S40, M/S T342
	Box 92919
	Los Angeles, CA 90009
	(213) 606-1092

However, last I heard, he's now recommending people use PMDF (a version
of the MMDF mail system writen in Pascal for VAXen) rather than his UUCP.
PMDF speaks both the CSnet PhoneNet protocol for telephone links and
SMTP for ethernet connections.  We used to use UUCP over a 9600 baud line
to transfer mail between the (Unix) machine I'm currently on and one of
the VMS machines Kevin runs, but now use SMTP over an ethernet.  The new
setup seems more robust than the old.  So... if you have a Unix machine
etherneted to your VMS VAX and want to send mail between them, I'd
recommend getting PMDF over Kevin's UUCP.  Or if you only have a phone
link, you can still run PhoneNet to any Unix machine under smart enough
management to have switched from sendmail to MMDF (small editorial comment
on my part :-).

Another factor is that I believe you need an ATT Unix license for your
VMS VAX to run Kevin's code as it was derived from Unix source.  PMDF, on
the other hand, only costs a $50 distribution fee (again, last time I
checked).  To get PMDF, contact Ned Freed (an old pal of Kevin's and yet
another Harvey Mudd grad).  His address is:

	Computing Services
	Harvey Mudd College
	Claremont, CA 91711
	(714) 621-8000

I don't know Ned's phone number off-hand, the above is the Claremont
Colleges switchboard.  They should know his extension.

				--Brian

UUCP: {seismo,allegra}!scgvaxd!brian	ARPA: brian%scgvaxd@csvax.caltech.edu