[comp.mail.uucp] unlisted domains

pedz@bobkat.UUCP (02/18/87)

A users at my site came to me with an address that he could not get
to.  The address contained ....!hamlet.stanford.edu!f.flex .  I
started looking around in the map files and discovered that
.stanford.edu as well as .berkeley.edu are not listed in the map files
(and thus my pathalias software routes all of their addresses to
seismo since that is my closest .edu site).  Can anyone tell me what
the deal is?

--
Perry Smith
pedz@bobkat

reid@decwrl.UUCP (02/21/87)

 >A users at my site came to me with an address that he could not get
 >to.  The address contained ....!hamlet.stanford.edu!f.flex .  I
 >started looking around in the map files and discovered that
 >.stanford.edu as well as .berkeley.edu are not listed in the map files
 >(and thus my pathalias software routes all of their addresses to
 >seismo since that is my closest .edu site).  Can anyone tell me what
 >the deal is?

The deal is that ".stanford.edu" is a real live ARPAnet domain, accessed
through ARPAnet domain name servers. The map files are not an official list
of anything; they are for the convenience of people who do not have access to
ARPAnet domain servers. Most ARPAnauts don't even know that uucp exists.
Routing that mail to seismo (or any other ARPAnet site) should work.

tron@nsc.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <592@bobkat.UUCP> pedz@bobkat.UUCP (Pedz Thing) writes:
>.stanford.edu as well as .berkeley.edu are not listed in the map files
>(and thus my pathalias software routes all of their addresses to
>seismo since that is my closest .edu site).  Can anyone tell me what
>the deal is?

This is correct.  Stanford and Berkeley are on the ARPAnet and the
best way to route to them is route to the nearest gateway to the ARPAnet.

	tron	|-<=>-|
--
   tron  |-<=>-|    ARPAnet: nsc!tron@sun.COM
  tron@sc.nsc.com   UUCPnet: {amdahl,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,sun}!nsc!tron

pedz@bobkat.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <8193@decwrl.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>The deal is that ".stanford.edu" is a real live ARPAnet domain, accessed
>through ARPAnet domain name servers. The map files are not an official list
>of anything; they are for the convenience of people who do not have access to
>ARPAnet domain servers. Most ARPAnauts don't even know that uucp exists.
>Routing that mail to seismo (or any other ARPAnet site) should work.

Well, I was not simply trying to make things work, but trying to make
them work in the best way possible.  For example, I have since found
out that .ti.com is not listed in the maps either.  We happen to talk
to ti-csl which is in the .ti.com domain but uumail does not know this
since it is not in the map files.  Instead, user@host.ti.com gets
routed to seismo.  This is a general problem.  It is probably
something that the site administrators should add to their map entries
but until then, is there a way to get reasonably accurate information
about the domains.  A list of gateway machines to domains would be
nice even if the gateway is not on usenet.  In that case, the path
will go through the apprpriate place (like seismo).
--

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <625@bobkat.UUCP> pedz@bobkat.UUCP (Pedz Thing) writes:
>Well, I was not simply trying to make things work, but trying to make
>them work in the best way possible.  For example, I have since found
>out that .ti.com is not listed in the maps either.  We happen to talk
>to ti-csl which is in the .ti.com domain but uumail does not know this
>since it is not in the map files.  Instead, user@host.ti.com gets
>routed to seismo.  This is a general problem.

Will ti-csl understand if you send it the address

	ti-csl!foo.ti.com!user

?  If not, it cannot be placed in the domains files, or things will
break.  If they do, it could be added, but things like this may be
more complicated these days, since TI may not wish to pay Mark's
group their fee.

Remember, the whole idea of domains is so you don't need to know the
address of every company in the known universe.  You must know the
address for ".com", but not ".foo.com" for all foo.
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

reggers@julian.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <4115@nsc.nsc.com> tron@nsc.UUCP (Ronald S. Karr) writes:
>This is correct.  Stanford and Berkeley are on the ARPAnet and the
>best way to route to them is route to the nearest gateway to the ARPAnet.

This ain't necessarily so.

At Western we have access to NetNorth/BITNET and can hit a many of the .EDU
sites through that network. For us, even if we were a full IP host, that's
the "best" way -- it's the cheapest and pretty fast. So that's what we do.

	* How would I put this information into the maps? Assuming that
	* one could?

That's one reason I've been a bit worried about the domain registry efforts
of the three parties here in Canada (UUCP, NETNORTH, and CDN) --- each seems
to think that the "best" method to get to the internet is through their
network. None of these, not even the Internet itself, is the best way.

	* I believe that several .EDU sites on the IP are actually firing
	* mail over BITNET as their optimal route. Or at least I've seen
	* some queries to that effect.

Any optimal solution ought to be taking advantage of the many different
networks we have and not depending on just one. This requires though that
sites be well integrated in terms of the many networks that hit them.

Smail/Pathalias is fine for .UUCP routing but isn't going to work properly for
us (yet it may someday).

--
Title:		Postmaster (E-mail) University of Western Ontario
Telephone:	(519) 661 2151 x6044