[comp.mail.uucp] copyright

chris@mimsy.UUCP (03/21/87)

In article <17953@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> schoet@ernie.Berkeley.EDU
(Steve Schoettler) writes:
>There's a method of "copying" another program that seems to have held
>in court in the past:  Someone with access to the source ... studies it
>carefully and then writes up a description ....  This is then handed to
>a programmer who does not have access to any of the source and "blindly"
>produces a program that does the same thing.

I imagine this can work for programs that are simply copyrighted.
UUCP, however, is protected by trade secret, which is considerably
stricter.  Fortunately, as John Gilmore has pointed out, there is
already a published protocol description for UUCP, one that was
made legally and can be used by anyone.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu