[comp.mail.uucp] Mailer for DCP desired

sl@van-bc.UUCP (05/09/87)

In article <141900001@occrsh.ATT.COM> authorplaceholder@occrsh.ATT.COM.UUCP writes:

>/* Written  8:45 am  May  4, 1987 by ddrex@gorgo.UUCP in occrsh.ATT.COM:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "dcp lives!" ---------- */
>Does anyone have source to a reasonable mail program for use with dcp?
>
>My thanks to the person who posted it; it works, and it works well. All I
>need is a microshaft compiler to fix up the rough edges.
>
>To those who are using it it: do be aware that it doesn't put a real header
>on your message. I received a msg this morning that was apparently created
>by dcp from god-knows-who; the login name gets replaced by 'nuucp' which
>doesn't help.... In this case, the message text consisted of mailer error
>status. Whomever sent that- if you see this, try again!

Yes. I'm currently getting it running on the Macintosh, with other people
working on amiga, atari, and ibm.

I should be able to post in a couple of weeks.

Anyone who is real desperate and wants to work with an early version can
send me email.

I've also cleaned up dcp a bit (?) to simplify porting and have people
working on versions for various micros. I've also put in a expect/send
connection protocol which is more like the standard uucico. And changed
the command line parameters to be similiar to uucico.

The mail program is (I hope and pray) 822 compatible. It is very basic and
basically gives you the equivalent of a version 7 mail command. Page through
mail messages one at a time; forward/save/delete/skip to next.

It currently depends on a smart host to forward all non-local mail.
Eventually we could put in support for looking up node names in the
systems(L.sys) file and sending direct. It's pretty trivial to do, just
havn't had time.

To avoid having to depend on being able call other programs which is
not always available on pc's, I've built in the uux stuff into mail,
and rmail into dcp.

A simple rnews is built into dcp as well. It simply copies the incoming files
to /usr/spool/rnews for later unbatching (similer to the SPOOLNEWS option in
2.11).

Anyone out there willing to wrestle news to the ground and get her running
on micros :-)

So far I'm quite impressed with dcp. On my macintosh it well send and
receive without problems at 9600 baud. Effective throughput is about 884 cps
receiving and 739 cps sending.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532