[comp.mail.uucp] Bug

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (05/24/87)

I recently brought up smail 2.3 on a System V machine without
sendmail.  It works quite nicely, except for one little problem.
Basically, smail appears not to look up the path when only '!'s are
used.  So a path like user@machine would make it down to getpath and
have the cost filled in from the path file, but something like
machine!user wouldn't.  This means that if DEFQUEUE is defined,
machine!user type paths will always just be queued.

I'd like to be able to use QUEUECOST, as we have a bunch of local
machines connected via uucp over Ethernet, so mail to these machines
should go immediately, and other external machines connected via
modem and X.25 links, mail to which should be queued. The costs in
the paths file reflect this, but of course these costs don't get
used.

Is this behaviour a feature or a bug, and if a bug, does anyone have
a fix for it? If it's a feature, is there any to force smail to do
what I want (not what I say 8-)).

Thanx for any information anyone might have.
--
                                                +---------+
Brian L. Matthews                               | P L A N |

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (05/26/87)

In article <2088@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) asks two
questions about smail2.3. Paraphrased:

> How do I force costs to be used on bang paths?

Go into defs.h, change ROUTING to be ALWAYS.

This is not done by default so as to leave vanilla UNIX mail syntax
unaffected.

> How do I make cheap mail go straight away?

Same place, #undefine DEFQUEUE.

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.UUCP (05/26/87)

blm@cxsea.UUCP writes:

   I recently brought up smail 2.3 on a System V machine without
   sendmail.  It works quite nicely, except for one little problem.
   Basically, smail appears not to look up the path when only '!'s are
   used.  So a path like user@machine would make it down to getpath and
   have the cost filled in from the path file, but something like
   machine!user wouldn't.

That's supposed to be a feature.  I haven't decided whether it's
actually a bug or not myself.  The idea is that, if somebody is going
to the trouble to hand smail a real, live UUCP path, then smail isn't
going to mess with it.

I just looked at smail.8, and found a small reference to this in the
section titled "Addresses," on page 2.

Karl

blm@cxsea.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <2088@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
|I recently brought up smail 2.3 on a System V machine without
|sendmail.  It works quite nicely, except for one little problem.
|Basically, smail appears not to look up the path when only '!'s are
|used.  So a path like user@machine would make it down to getpath and
|have the cost filled in from the path file, but something like
|machine!user wouldn't.

Sigh. Another case of RTFM. I did RTFM when I installed smail, but
didn't really understand the three routing possibilities (JUSTDOMAIN,
ALWAYS, REROUTE), so I left it at the default (JUSTDOMAIN). Of course
this tells smail NOT to reroute just uucp paths. I did a little more
digging in the code, and finally figured out I want ALWAYS routing. I
changed it, and everything works as it's supposed to. Sorry 'bout
that.

--
                                                +---------+

krs@amdahl.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <239@cbstr1.att.com> Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com writes:
>blm@cxsea.UUCP writes:
>
>   [...]  So a path like user@machine would make it down to getpath and
>   have the cost filled in from the path file, but something like
>   machine!user wouldn't.
>
>That's supposed to be a feature.  I haven't decided whether it's
>actually a bug or not myself.  The idea is that, if somebody is going
>to the trouble to hand smail a real, live UUCP path, then smail isn't
>going to mess with it.

I think that's a fine idea except (oddly enough?) on replies to netnews
or other mail.  Replying down a receipt path of mail, let alone news,
often fails (for me) without the optimized path.  I assume that's because
site_a knows how to call site_b, which allows the call but either doesn't
know how to call site_a back or disallows the call.  The "fine idea"
comment I started with revolves around stuck nodes:  if our connection to
site_c isn't working and normal path resolution to site_d is via site_c,
I think it's pretty important that I can specify an alternate route around
the failing/choked node.

...Kris
--
Kristopher Stephens, | (408-746-6047) |          {whatever}!amdahl!krs
Amdahl Corporation   |                |    -or-  krs@amdahl.amdahl.com

lda@clyde.UUCP (05/28/87)

>From: jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark)
>Subject: Re: Bug (feature?) in smail 2.3

>In article <2088@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) asks two
>questions about smail2.3. Paraphrased:

>> How do I force costs to be used on bang paths?

>Go into defs.h, change ROUTING to be ALWAYS.

>This is not done by default so as to leave vanilla UNIX mail syntax
>unaffected.

>> How do I make cheap mail go straight away?

>Same place, #undefine DEFQUEUE.

We (the UUCP Project smail support organization) STRONGLY DISCOURAGE
use of ROUTING == ALWAYS.  Please don't do it without due consideration.
People get frustrated when their mail get rerouted for no good reason.

Now, to answer Brian's queston

>> How do I force costs to be used on bang paths?

This is was done intentionally in smail2.3 to minimize overhead on
mail that's just passing through.  I had several requests for the
feature, so I added a #define GETCOST to cause the paths file
to be searched for the cost of the first hop in the route.

This feature will be in the next release of smail.

The next release is due to go into beta test before the June
USENIX conference with general availability "real soon now."

Larry Auton

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <2089@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>Sigh. Another case of RTFM. I did RTFM when I installed smail, but
>didn't really understand the three routing possibilities (JUSTDOMAIN,
>ALWAYS, REROUTE), so I left it at the default (JUSTDOMAIN). Of course
>this tells smail NOT to reroute just uucp paths. I did a little more
>digging in the code, and finally figured out I want ALWAYS routing. I
>changed it, and everything works as it's supposed to. Sorry 'bout
>that.

You do not want REROUTE, and it should be eliminated from the code.
Why?  Several reasons:

1. If you do not keep your map data current, you will turn valid
   addresses into invalid ones, pissing off your neighbors.  Since
   the UUCP Project does not keep the map current (I'm not blaming
   them, it's a tough job), it is out of date on the day it's posted.

2. REROUTE believes that there are no duplicate UUCP names.  This
   is not true; turning it on in these cases will wreck valid UUCP
   paths no matter how consistent your database is.  Now that the
   world is becoming domainized, this is officially sanctioned.

   To use Phil Ngai's example, there is an AT&T site named neptune
   and an AMD site named neptune.  But there's no name conflict;
   the AMD site neptune does not appear in the UUCP map and its official
   name is neptune.amd.com.  If someone mails to amdcad!neptune!user,
   this is a different neptune than the AT&T one, and mailers shouldn't
   be f*king with the address.

3. You make it impossible for users to avoid machines that are down.
   ihnp4, for example.  Somebody posts a message "avoid ihnp4" but
   there's no way any of your users can.

4. You make it impossible to test specific UUCP connections with loop
   tests.

ALWAYS, on the other hand, is perfectly OK because it does not alter
valid paths.

--
- Joe Buck    jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM  (in the brave new world of domains!)
		{seismo,ucbvax,sun,decwrl,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

david@ukma.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <1217@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>1. ...
>   the UUCP Project does not keep the map current (I'm not blaming
>   them, it's a tough job), it is out of date on the day it's posted.

*grin*, we try...  There's times I'm glad I only take care of KY. :-)

>2. REROUTE believes that there are no duplicate UUCP names. ...
>
>   To use Phil Ngai's example, there is an AT&T site named neptune
>   and an AMD site named neptune.  But there's no name conflict;
>   the AMD site neptune does not appear in the UUCP map and its official
>   name is neptune.amd.com.  If someone mails to amdcad!neptune!user,
>   this is a different neptune than the AT&T one, and mailers shouldn't
>   be f*king with the address.

This is the part I couldn't let pass by.

If amdcad wants to have their neptune able to send and receive mail
without hassles, then they should arrange it so that mail will be sent
to amdcat!neptune.amd.com!user.  (i.e. putting that out in headers when
mail is sent out, announcing in the maps either the existance of a
gateway for .amd.com or the existance of neptune.amd.com itself, etc).

If they do anything else, they're asking for trouble.

>3. You make it impossible for users to avoid machines that are down.
>   ihnp4, for example.  Somebody posts a message "avoid ihnp4" but
>   there's no way any of your users can.

My own strategy is to route to the first host mentioned in the path
which I am given.  This is merely a convenience, so that if I have some
address from a well-known-site, then I don't *have* to find the path to
that well-known-site.  Looking down the path beyond the first site is
not kosher because you don't *know* if those names you see there
actually refer to the ones you have in your database.  That is, unless
you do some edge analysis a la peter honeyman.

To be honest tho....  I don't quite practice what I just preached.  I
run MMDF here, and the uucp channel sort-of breaks those rules.  When
it receives a message it collapses the From_'s, looks down that path
for sites in its' data base (assuming only .uucp places) and stops at
the first one it doesn't know.  Then it re-writes the header so that
the From: says unk1!unk2!...!user@known.UUCP.  For the rmail arguments
it does exactly what I describe above.  I don't quite agree with its
strategy, but I don't have the time to change it...

>4. You make it impossible to test specific UUCP connections with loop
>   tests.

I would go along with this, however I haven't needed to do this for at
least a year.  I can't even remember the last time I had to do this.
And I am a heavy user of e-mail.

--
----- David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.csnet
----- (also "postmaster", "news", and the Usenet map maintainer for Kentucky.)

jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) (06/10/87)

In article <6762@a.ms.uky.csnet> david@ms.uky.csnet (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:
>>2. REROUTE believes that there are no duplicate UUCP names. ...
>>
>>   To use Phil Ngai's example, there is an AT&T site named neptune
>>   and an AMD site named neptune.  But there's no name conflict;
>>   the AMD site neptune does not appear in the UUCP map and its official
>>   name is neptune.amd.com.  If someone mails to amdcad!neptune!user,
>>   this is a different neptune than the AT&T one, and mailers shouldn't
>>   be f*king with the address.
>
>This is the part I couldn't let pass by.
Why not?

>If amdcad wants to have their neptune able to send and receive mail
>without hassles, then they should arrange it so that mail will be sent
>to amdcat!neptune.amd.com!user.  (i.e. putting that out in headers when
It said the official name was neptune.amd.com.
>mail is sent out, announcing in the maps either the existance of a
>gateway for .amd.com or the existance of neptune.amd.com itself, etc).
Try uuhosts 'amd.com'.

Registered, mapped, gatewayed, and sendmail configured to know about
the .AMD.COM long ago.

>If they do anything else, they're asking for trouble.

You mean like the user who places amdcad!neptune!joe in his .signature :-)?
+---------------

We do all of the above, but I still believe that ...!amdcad!dopey!...
in a path should always refer to OUR dopey (dopey.amd.com).

A path of the form ...!amdcad!dopey!jimb which passes through any
site which has defined REROUTE will be sent to dopey, a machine in Ohio
rather than to OUR dopey.

( You'll note the change of the example from neptune to dopey, above. This
is for the simple reason that, with the removal of att internal machines
from the maps a couple of months ago, there is no longer any non-domainized
neptune in the map. But there is a dopey.)

--
+      Jim Budler      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.      (408) 749-5806      +
+  Compuserve: 72415,1200; Delphi: JIMBUDLER;  Usenet: jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM   +

kyle@xanth.UUCP (06/11/87)

In article <355@dopey.AMD.COM>, jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) writes:
> A path of the form ...!amdcad!dopey!jimb which passes through any
> site which has defined REROUTE will be sent to dopey, a machine in Ohio
> rather than to OUR dopey.

This is as it should be.  The occurrance of a name such as "dopey" in a bang
route should have a unique meaning on all UUCP sites.  Therefore "dopey" =
"dopey.UUCP" = the "dopey" in the UUCP maps.  If a site along the way knows a
cheaper way to get to the machine in Ohio, more power to them... they are
presumably saving themselves and maybe a few other sites some $$.  However,
such a site must be careful not to route mail back to a site where it has
already been, and possible cause looping.

kyle jones   <kyle@xanth.cs.odu.edu>   old dominion university, norfolk, va