[comp.mail.uucp] Back Start of volume 10

billw@ncoast.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/19/87)

In article <364@uunet.UU.NET>, Rich Salz sends his profuse apologies.

What kind of a domain is uunet.UU.NET?
--
Bill Wisner
..{cbosgd,decvax}!cwruecmp!ncoast!billw

lamy@utegc.UUCP (06/25/87)

.net domains are reserved for the networks themselves, who have to have
machines too...

The UU.NET domains contains all the machines involved in the administration
of the UUCP net.
Another such setup is {relay,relay1,relay2,sh}.cs.net which are
the machines on which CSNet is administered.

Jean-Francois Lamy                      lamy@ai.toronto.edu (CSNet,UUCP,Bitnet)
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science      lamy@ai.toronto.cdn (EAN X.400)
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4   {seismo,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!lamy

dave@rosesun.Rosemount.COM (Dave Marquardt) (06/30/87)

In article <8706251839.AA24636@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> lamy@utegc.UUCP writes:
>The UU.NET domains contains all the machines involved in the administration
>of the UUCP net.

Almost right.  The UU.NET domain is for the UUNET service currently being
provided by USENIX on an experimental basis.  It seems to me the term "UUCP net"
might encompass something much larger than this.

	Dave
Dave Marquardt
dave@rosevax.Rosemount.COM

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (07/01/87)

In article <8706251839.AA24636@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> lamy@utegc.UUCP writes:
>The UU.NET domains contains all the machines involved in the administration
>of the UUCP net.

Nope.  .UU.NET is the name of the domain used by the 'UUNET' organization,
that runs the 'uunet' host and provides communications services to the UUCP
community.

The UUCP net doesn't really have any central administration, but the closest
thing you'll find is the UUCP Project, run by Mark Horton and friends --
they maintain and publish the UUCP Map Data to the comp.mail.maps newsgroup.
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
329 Noe Street       {ptsfa, crash, hoptoad, ucat}!vixie!paul