[comp.mail.uucp] Duplicate CHAOS entries in maps

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (06/30/87)

I try to keep my comp.mail.maps database as up-to-date as possible.
Therefore, I apply by hand any additions or changes posted to news.config
or news.newsites.  In the process of doing this today, I noticed that
there are two different sites claiming to be "chaos":

#N      chaos
#S      Microvax II; Ultrix-32m 1.2
#O      University of Oklahoma High Energy Physics
#C      Carl Rigney
#E      chaos!postmaster
#T      +1 405 325 3961 x307
#P      440 West Brooks, Norman, OK  73019
#L      35 12 30 N / 097 28 00 W city
#R      Gateway Machine to OU Physics & Astronomy LAN
#U
#W      chaos!cdr (Carl Rigney); Mon Oct  6 19:40:25 CDT 1986
#
chaos   uokmax(DEMAND), occrsh(DEMAND), gorgo(DEMAND), oktext(DEMAND),
	nears(DAILY), tac3b5(DAILY/2)

#N	chaos
#S	IBM PC/AT Clone; SCO Xenix System V (SCO Release 2.1)
#O	Gorodish (John Romkey's House)
#C	John Romkey
#E	chaos!usenet
#T	(617)-776-3121
#P	2 Brastow Ave., Somerville, MA
#R	internet mail: blblbl!chaos!usenet@eddie.mit.edu
#W	blblbl ftp
#U	chaos!romkey (John Romkey) ; 8 June 1987 2:00 EDT
#
chaos	ftp(EVENING), blblbl(HOURLY)

Obviously, this will cause pathalias to generate incorrect routing
information.

To be fair, the site in Oklahoma was already in the u.usa.ok.1 map,
whereas the MA site was a recent posting to news.{config,newsites}
(I forget which).

I have temporarily declared the site "chaos" to be dead to pathalias
(pathalias -d chaos ...) to prevent mail from being mis-routed by
my site.

I'd send mail to the "#E" people, but since these two sites are now
not in my paths file, my mailer won't be able to find them.  :-)

- paul

--
UUCP: paul@devon.UUCP	-or-: ...{seismo,ihnp4,cbosgd}!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!paul

"No problem is so big or so terrible that it can't be run away from."
							-- Linus van Pelt

jeff@necntc.NEC.COM (Jeff Janock) (07/01/87)

In article <325@devon.UUCP> paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:
>I try to keep my comp.mail.maps database as up-to-date as possible.
>Therefore, I apply by hand any additions or changes posted to news.config
>or news.newsites.  In the process of doing this today, I noticed that
>there are two different sites claiming to be "chaos":

As keeper of the new england maps, the new site chaos you refer to is
not in the map nor would it be if the entry arrived via uucpmap@cbosgd.

They would/will be contacted to choose another name for their site.

People, check the current maps prior to choosing a site name and
lots of these problems would never occur.

Yours to accurate path data,

	-jj
--
Jeff Janock - NEC Electronics +1 617 655 8833 jeff@necntc.NEC.COM
{ames, decvax, harvard, linus, mit-eddie}!necntc!jeff

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (07/02/87)

Just in case John Romkey (the other 'chaos') doesn't see these messages
to respond publically (I don't think he gets news on his machine yet),
and to help deter any further public comment, let me mention that he's changing
his site name to 'kaos', which should help a bit.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu