[comp.mail.uucp] Can we connect to IBM from this uucp network?

Robin@turbo.RAY.COM (Robin Alston) (07/01/87)

I would like to know if it is possible to route to part of IBMs network.
We have a group of people working with IBM at their Rockville MD facility
and I just wondered if there was a gateway from the uucp bits to theirs?

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (07/07/87)

In article <139@turbo.RAY.COM>, Robin@turbo.RAY.COM (Robin Alston) writes:
> I would like to know if it is possible to route to part of IBMs network.
> We have a group of people working with IBM at their Rockville MD facility
> and I just wondered if there was a gateway from the uucp bits to theirs?

I have asked this question a few times but have never gotten any
response. If anybody out there knows one way or the other, please
let us un-informed out here know...

Many thanks,

Danny Wilson			danny@idacom.uucp
IDACOM Electronics ---  {your backbone here}!alberta!idacom!danny

++
++	Maybe IBM's network police have deleted the answer before
++	anyone could read it!    :->
++

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (07/11/87)

Well, there are a few answers to this question:

IBM has a mail server on CSNET called IBM.COM.  As far as I know, this
is only for those who works in IBM's Research Division.

IBM has several of their internal machines on BITNET.  However, all
the network traffic for those machines passes through their internal
WATSON gateway which protects those nodes from unauthorized traffic.
Again, these nodes are in IBM's Research Division.

Finally, IBM has a gateway from BITNET to its internal VNET (in its
entirety).  Its design is such that you must be directly on BITNET to
use this gateway.   Also note that the IBMer has to begin the process
of setting up a virtual circuit (this gateway requires that "virtual
circuits" be set up in the gateway), and that IBMer has to have
permission from management to use the gateway (usually, they have to
prove a "business need to know," with "I wanna get notes from my
friend at Frobozz, Inc" kinds of reasons not being sufficient.)

# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-379 MIT, Cambridge, MA
#      {ames,cca,rochester,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry