[comp.mail.uucp] Smail2.3 troubles

jeff1@garfield.UUCP (07/26/87)

	I have smail set up and working correclty for any local mail.  The problem
is that any mail passing through doesn't get routed properly.   If somebody
specifies the next hop as a site we don't talk to, we end up with a uux to that site
anyway. So far, this has only happened with sites that are in our L.sys file, but we
don't call anymore.  Another related problem is that rmail/smail avoids sendmail,
which means we don't use SMTP links, and try sending it via UUCP.
	How can I fix this without using REROUTE, which seem to be strongly advised
against in the doumentation.  As long as I'm askiong questions, how do I configure
non-gateway sites in my domain?  There is no useful advice in the package.
--
Jeff Sparkes					Can I have it all now?
{utai,uunet,ihnp4}!garfield!jeff1

dave@lsuc.UUCP (07/27/87)

> If somebody specifies the next hop as a site we don't talk to,
> we end up with a uux to that site anyway. So far, this has only
> happened with sites that are in our L.sys file, but we
> don't call anymore.

Then take those sites out of your L.sys file, since uux shouldn'y
legitimately be allowed to queue for them.  smail is merely showing
up a problem with your system, not introducing a new bug.
We had exactly the same problem and I cleaned up our L.sys somewhat.

(Actually, because of the overhead we don't invoke smail unless
we need it.  We stick with the old v7 rmail for forwarding
mail; but I modified rmail so that if the uux fails, it shovels
the message down to smail -R which then gets it right. Plus it
sends a copy to me just in case smail didn't get it right.)

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) (07/28/87)

In article <3825@garfield.UUCP> jeff1@garfield.UUCP writes:

>	I have smail set up and working correclty for any local mail.  The problem
>is that any mail passing through doesn't get routed properly.

  What you really want here is to set up smail so that it will call
sendmail for any message coming in from a remote system, but NOT if it
is called from sendmail (the latter can easily result in an infinite loop
of sendmail and smail calling each other). This can be done very easily by
checking argv[0] and if it is "rmail", call sendmail, otherwise proceed
normally. This is done by checking argv[0] and if it is "rmail", set
handle=ALL, else set handle=NONE. In your sendmail.cf, you change
any address of the form host!garbage-that-has-no-@ into garbage@host.uucp .
This gets sent into smail for routing to host via uucp. Thus, if the user
specifies just host!user, you will find the best path to host even if you
don't talk to host directly.

--Greg
--
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA