[comp.mail.uucp] Timeout in Expect Sequence

km@emory.UUCP (08/15/87)

I would like to be able to vary the timeout period for
waiting for the expect sequence in the L.sys (or Systems)
chat for uucp. The default timeout is just too long in
certain situations, before switching to the alternate
send/expcect sequence.

There is a way to do this on 4.3BSD uucp. You are allowed
to put "~n" at the end of an expect string, which then
means timeout this particular expect string in "n" seconds.
I got this from reading the source. It may be in some
README or document, but I couldn't find it.

I would like to do the same thing with HDUUCP on System V.
I also don't see any documented way to change the timeout
either for one expect string, or the whole Systems entry.
Does anyone know a way to do this on HDUUCP?
--
Ken Mandelberg      |  gatech!emory!km               USENET
Emory University    |  km@emory                      CSNET,BITNET

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (08/17/87)

In article <2205@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>I would like to be able to vary the timeout period for
>waiting for the expect sequence in the L.sys (or Systems)
>I would like to do the same thing with HDUUCP on System V.

What I do is this:

	2224 foo bar ... Answered-\c-Answered

ie wait for "Answered", if you don't see it send a null string with no
newline (ie nothing), wait for "Answered" again. I use this for
international calls which take longer than the default timeout to set up.
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.