[comp.mail.uucp] BITNET software

jlb@apollo.uucp (Joel Breazeale) (08/17/87)

Could someone "in the know" tell how/where one obtains the
software which interfaces to BITNET?

I presume that BITNET software runs under several operating
systems.  How about it running under a flavor of Unix and
VMS?

---

Also, I've been running into a problem where the address on
an incoming message has been upcased, presumably by a gate-
way between BITNET and the ARPA internet.  Is this a common
problem?  Is this gateway software standardized so that fixing
it in one place eventually propagates to all gateways?  What
process would I have to go through to get this situation
resolved, contact the gateway site administrator?

Joel Breazeale
Apollo Computer, Inc.

UUCP: {decvax,yale,attunix}!apollo!jlb
ARPA: apollo!jlb@eddie.mit.edu

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (08/18/87)

In article <36b9d33e.44e6@apollo.uucp> jlb@apollo.uucp (Joel Breazeale) writes:
>Could someone "in the know" tell how/where one obtains the
>software which interfaces to BITNET?
>
>I presume that BITNET software runs under several operating
>systems.  How about it running under a flavor of Unix and
>VMS?

The Department of Computer Science here at Penn State offers a package
for connecting UNIX systems to BITNET called UREP (UNIX(tm) RSCS
Emulation Package).  It is currently running under BSD 4.x, BSD 2.x,
System V, and probably a few others that I do not know about.
Currently a single cpu license costs $US850.  To get information you
should send a mail message to

	urep-license@psuvax1.{psu.edu,uucp,bitnet}

or by US Mail to:

	Ms Romayne Bernitt
	Department of Computer Science
	The Pennsylvania State University
	333 Whitmore Laboratory
	University Park, PA   16802

A company named Joiner Associates (spelling?) sell a package for VMS called
JNET.  Their address from the 1st quarter 1986 Data Sources directory is:

	Joiner Associates, Inc.
	732 N. Midvale Blvd
	P.O. Box 5445
	Madison, WI   53705
	+1 608 238 8134

>---
>
>Also, I've been running into a problem where the address on
>an incoming message has been upcased, presumably by a gate-
>way between BITNET and the ARPA internet.  Is this a common
>problem?  Is this gateway software standardized so that fixing
>it in one place eventually propagates to all gateways?  What
>process would I have to go through to get this situation
>resolved, contact the gateway site administrator?

Most reasonable mailer software is case insensitive.  This is required
by RFC822 which specifies message formats for the Internet.
Unfortunately, IBM decided that host/user names must be eight or less
UPPER CASE characters.  This is from the people who brought you EBCDIC.
:-)

--
--Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@psuvax1.{psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Computer Science Department

lum%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) (08/18/87)

In article <2854@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) says:
>In article <36b9d33e.44e6@apollo.uucp> jlb@apollo.uucp (Joel Breazeale) says:
>>
>>Also, I've been running into a problem where the address on an
>>incoming message has been upcased, ....  Is this a common problem?
>
>Most reasonable mailer software is case insensitive.  This is
>required by RFC822 which specifies message formats for the Internet.
>Unfortunately, IBM decided that host/user names must be eight or less
>UPPER CASE characters.  This is from the people who brought you
>EBCDIC.  :-)

Sort of reminiscent of Breeze's comment on US foreign policy, at least
without respect for third world nations, as expressed in their reggae
song `Aid Travel with a Bomb'.

TOPS-20 allows upto 19 arbitrary ASCII chars, or upto 39 alphanumerics
in such things as directory, machine, and user names, and passwords.
(Most non-alphanumerics must be quoted to get them to parse in properly;
some control characters cannot be quoted for this purpose.)

-=-
Lum Johnson			lum[%osu-20]@ohio-state.arpa
lum@{osu-eddie|osupyr}.uucp	..!cbosgd!osu-eddie[!{osu-20|osupyr|tut}]!lum

ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (08/19/87)

In article <3952@osu-eddie.UUCP> lum%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) writes:
>In article <2854@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) says:
>>
>>Most reasonable mailer software is case insensitive.  This is
>>required by RFC822 which specifies message formats for the Internet.
>>Unfortunately, IBM decided that host/user names must be eight or less
>>UPPER CASE characters.  This is from the people who brought you
>>EBCDIC.  :-)
>TOPS-20 allows upto 19 arbitrary ASCII chars, or upto 39 alphanumerics
>in such things as directory, machine, and user names, and passwords.
>(Most non-alphanumerics must be quoted to get them to parse in properly;
>some control characters cannot be quoted for this purpose.)

What and operating system allows and what RFC822 specifies many times
are not equivalent sets.  It is usually hoped that the spcification
will be flexible enough to encompass many different O/S's view of
reality.  In any event, RFC822 only requires that you support the
printable ASCII character set.  And that the ASCII characters specified
as "special" in addresses are not allowed in names unless quoted.  If
you really wanted to it is supposedly possible to include any and all
of the printable ASCII set in an address.  Many mailers do not seem to
handle quoting correctly so this is usually frowned apon.  While '"This
is a very weird address"@psuvax1.psu.edu' is valid according to RFC822
I do not think the version of sendmail we run here would be very happy
with it.

--

dboyes@uoregon.UUCP (David Boyes) (08/19/87)

In article <36b9d33e.44e6@apollo.uucp> jlb@apollo.uucp (Joel Breazeale) writes:
>Could someone "in the know" tell how/where one obtains the
>software which interfaces to BITNET?
>
>I presume that BITNET software runs under several operating
>systems.  How about it running under a flavor of Unix and
>VMS?

BITNET operates primarily on VM/SP CMS and OS/VS2[MVS] with TSO. There
are 2 versions of the software out there -- RSCS V2r2 (IBM's latest) and
V1R3 (what everyone with any sense runs if they don't have to deal with
SNA). For either of those two operating systems, contact your local IBM
rep.

 For non-IBM machines, your choice is a bit wider. Under UNIX, the
 people at Penn State University have written a package called UREP that
 works like a dream. I know it works under BSD 4.[23] and I'm pretty
 sure that Sys V people won't have too much trouble. You need a
 synchronous port to attach to the next host along the line, though.
 UREP was priced around $300/yr last time I checked -- call PSU for the
 latest details. I *like* this package -- it's well integrated into the
 Unix environment as well as providing full RSCS services including
 interactive messages.

 For VMS....well, it exists. jnet 3.0 seems to be the most popular and
 reliable. It's reliable and it works, but it will give you screaming
 nightmares installing it and routing mail, especially if you have a
 Vaxcluster and call the whole thing by one node name (DON'T DO THIS!!!
 It may look convenient, but do you REALLY want everything with an
 origin of POSTMASTER@foo?) Personally, I hate this program with a
 passion, but there's nothing better available and Joiner Associates do
 miracles within the rather limited framework of VMS.

 There are other products for CDC and Prime equipment. Send me mail if
 you really want to know the headaches involved.

>Also, I've been running into a problem where the address on
>an incoming message has been upcased, presumably by a gate-
>way between BITNET and the ARPA internet.  Is this a common
>problem?

This is a peripheral "feature" of BITNET. VM/CMS does not accept
lowercase userids as valid, so it converts them to upper case. Since
BITNET began as the two VM machines at CUNY and PSU talking to each
other, the restriction stuck. You'll find that userids longer than 8
characters will get chopped in most situations as well due to the same
limitations.

>Is this gateway software standardized so that fixing
>it in one place eventually propagates to all gateways?

The Internet - BITNET gateways do whatever they darn well please. With
the demise of WISCVM (one of the most well-behaved and tolerant of the
gateways) things are going to get really weird. I would say that some
MVS machine somewhere along the way uppercased everything. MVS has a
tendency to do that, even when told not to.

>What
>process would I have to go through to get this situation
>resolved, contact the gateway site administrator?

Invent a TCP that will run over RSCS protocols and we'll all join the
Internet and then the problem will be solved. And hell will freeze over
along the same timeline. It's just a matter of inertia.

--
David Boyes                   ARPA: 556%OREGON1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Systems Division              BITNET: 556@OREGON1

marv@vsedev.VSE.COM (Marvin Raab) (08/21/87)

In article <495@uoregon.UUCP> dboyes@drizzle.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:

>Since
>BITNET began as the two VM machines at CUNY and PSU talking to each
>other, the restriction stuck. You'll find that userids longer than 8

    trivial correction:    the two machines were cuny and yale

                        -marvin

--
Marvin Raab                                      Arlington, VA 22202
   ...!seismo!vsedev!marv                        703-521-5449 (h)

lum%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) (08/23/87)

In <2856@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) says:
>In <3952@osu-eddie.UUCP> lum%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (I) said:
>>In <2854@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) said:
>>>
>>>Most reasonable mailer software is case insensitive [, as] required
>>>by RFC822....  Unfortunately, IBM decided that host/user names must be
>>>eight or less UPPER CASE characters....
>>
>>TOPS-20 allows ...
>
>What an operating system allows and what RFC822 specifies many times are
>not equivalent sets.  It is usually hoped that the specification will be
>flexible enough to encompass many different O/S's view of reality.

Agreed, both should try to encompass at least common usage and historical
necessity.  The ARPANET is about fifteen years old;  they've had more than
enough time to make and correct all the mistakes one can reasonably make.
TOPS is only the OS with which I am most familiar.

>Many mailers do not seem to handle quoting correctly so this is usually
>frowned apon.  While '"This is a very weird address"@psuvax1.psu.edu' is
>valid according to RFC822, I do not think the version of sendmail we run
>here would be very happy with it.

Indeed, I understand some BITNET software cannot handle addresses
with "%" or quotes at all.  Has this been properly implemented yet?
I know of a site which could use this right about now.