[comp.mail.uucp] Domains and PCs

smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) (08/25/87)

A few months ago there was some discussion on how to classify PCs under
the domain naming system.  Was this ever resolved?  I can't see spending
$150/year out of my own pocket just to conform and maybe be easier to
mail to...

Thanx ---      \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   City of Turlock   901 S. Walnut Road   Turlock, CA 95380
(209) 668-5628, usually...  lll-crg!csustan!helium!scott lll-crg!csustan!smdev

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (08/26/87)

In article <858@csustan.UUCP> smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>A few months ago there was some discussion on how to classify PCs under
>the domain naming system.  Was this ever resolved?  I can't see spending
>$150/year out of my own pocket just to conform and maybe be easier to
>mail to...

   If your refering to the UUCP project, I would guess Mark
Horton would need to answer this one.  I am orginizing and
requesting a new domain:
     fido.net
   This domain will consist of Fido Standards Committee (FSC)
compatible machines.  For the most part, these are PCs running
MS-DOS, but the FSC protocal is being ported to machines running
CP/M-80, CP/M-68 and on Macintosh(s?).
   There is one other requirement, at this time.  Machines
wishing to be registered under this domain need to be registered
in the International FidoNet Association (IFNA), or "St. Louis"
nodelist.  There is no fee for registering with IFNA for the
nodelist.

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

scott@helium.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) (08/27/87)

In article <2831@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
<In article <858@csustan.UUCP> I wrote:
<>A few months ago there was some discussion on how to classify PCs under
<>the domain naming system.  Was this ever resolved?  I can't see spending
<>$150/year out of my own pocket just to conform and maybe be easier to
<>mail to...
<   If your refering to the UUCP project, I would guess Mark Horton would
<need to answer this one.  I am orginizing and requesting a new domain:
<     fido.net
<For the most part, these are PCs running MS-DOS, but the FSC protocal is
<being ported to machines running CP/M-80, CP/M-68 and on Macintosh(s?).
<        Tim Pozar

I'm partially referring to the UUCP Project; also, though I recall that
some people were discussing registering a top-level domain under .ORG and
then turning around and registering subdomains to individuals and others
not willing to cough up the whole cost.

I suppose that I had better clarify my use of "PC" - I have an AT&T Unix-PC,
and I'm already connected via UUCP.

           \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   City of Turlock    901 S. Walnut Rd.  Turlock CA 95380
(209) 668-5590        lll-crg!csustan!helium!scott