[comp.mail.uucp] Status of smail?

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (09/07/87)

Does anyone know the current release level of smail? I have seen headers
claiming version 2.5, but I have never seen a release later than 2.3.
Is 2.5 (or later) available, and if so, from where?

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (09/07/87)

In article <64@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>Does anyone know the current release level of smail? I have seen headers
>claiming version 2.5, but I have never seen a release later than 2.3.
>Is 2.5 (or later) available, and if so, from where?

I have been using 2.5 for 9 months now...I just recently learned that
it was a beta version, but I haven't had any problems with it. I would
recommend checking with the author as to whether any bugs have surfaced.
Pretty much everyone in Mn has been using 2.5, so that may be why you
have seen the 2.5 on mail headers (I had wondered why all the other
parts of the country were at earlier versions...)

  -Todd Burkey
  trb@stag.UUCP

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (09/08/87)

In article <64@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>Does anyone know the current release level of smail? I have seen headers
>claiming version 2.5, but I have never seen a release later than 2.3.
>Is 2.5 (or later) available, and if so, from where?

I should really let Larry answer this, but...

smail 2.5 is 'in beta'. Larry was going to send it out after the last
USENIX, but after talking to some people there he decided to hold off
until some other features could be incorporated. After this time I
unearthed some annoying bugs which we are working on, slowly - some of
them are *hard*!
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.