[comp.mail.uucp] EARN

nrh@buzz.bellcore.com (Nat Howard) (09/08/87)

I'm trying to reach someone on the EARN network: can anyone tell me
what's required?  EARN is evidently some sort of European venture.

Here's the address I'm trying to reach:

	LOUTE@BUCLNN11

I'd be grateful for any advice.

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/08/87)

EARN is indistinguishable from BITNET except for it's location (Europe).
Send the mail as if you were sending to a BITNET host.  I think the uucp
gateway is in Pennsylvania somewhere.

-Ron

lubich@ethz.UUCP (Hannes Lubich) (09/12/87)

Since EARN is the European part of BITNET, they both share the same
address space (including NETNORTH). You can simply use
user@host.bitnet if you have access to a bitnet site.
In case you want to use your uucp mailer, try psuvax1 as the
uucp-BITNET gateway: user%host.bitnet@psuvax1.uucp
(host1!host2!...!psuvax1!host.bitnet!user for the old fashioned
people (Hi, Mitchell))
Until 1 of December, you might also use the arpanet-bitnet gateway
at wisconsin: user%host.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

	Have fun

		--Hannes
--
~ UUCP/Usenet   :   {known world}!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!lubich
~ CSNET         :   lubich%ifi.ethz.chunet@relay.cs.net

NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) (09/13/87)

Nat,
     Here is some info I dug up about BUCLLN11.  You should be able to use the
following address form to reach people there.

....!psuvax1!BUCLLN11.BITNET!userid

                                Good luck,
                                   -Tim

P.S.  Notice that your usenet posting did have the node name listed wrong!

Looking for "bucl" in BITNET LISTS.
Node         University                          Operating System
BUCLLN11  U Cath Louvain                            VM/SP
BITNET NAMES File - Information for node BUCLLN11

            Universite Catholique de Louvain  Centre de calcul  Belgium
            Universite Catholique de Louvain;Centre de calcul;Batiment Pythagore
;B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve Belgium

Running  IBM VM/SP HPO R3.6  on  IBM 4381-P03
Using IBM RSCS V1 R3 network software with MAILER BSMTP 3 mailer.

Postmaster         (Alain Fontaine) FNTA80@BUCLLN11 (+32 10 43-2625)

Contact            (Alain Fontaine) FNTA80@BUCLLN11 (+32 10 43-2625)
BITNET Director
Director           (Andre Debroux) CALCEARN@BUCLLN11 (+32 10 43-2627)
Linkfail contact   (Alain Fontaine) FNTA80@BUCLLN11 (+32 10 43-2625)

Link is via    BEARN

Node Number 1012 connected on 85/05/31.  Last updated  87/04/09.
NOTE: Better information will be available from NICSERVE ivedsess uucp

marv@vsedev.VSE.COM (Marvin Raab) (09/15/87)

In article <2418@bellcore.bellcore.com> nrh@bellcore.bellcore.com (Nat Howard) writes:

>Here's the address I'm trying to reach:
>
>	LOUTE@BUCLNN11
>
>I'd be grateful for any advice.

     go through BITNET...   LOUTE@BUCLNN11.BITNET

    (finding a path to BITNET is another story   :-)   )

                       -marvin

--
Marvin Raab                                             Arlington, VA 22202
...!uunet!mimsy!cvl!vsedev!marv                            703-521-5449 (h)