[comp.mail.uucp] VMS <=> Unix mail

mac@esl.UUCP (Mike McNamara) (10/07/87)

We have a number of unix machines, both system 5 and Ultrix.  We are going
to convert one of our vaxes to VMS. We are interested in any VMS <=> unix
mail interfaces.  The machines will all share an ethernet; the Ultrix machine
runs decnet; hence a LAN based mail scheme would be nice.
However, as the machines are all in the same room, an RS-232 link would
suffice.

Please respond to me directly.

{lll-lcc,ames}!esl!mac

Thanks.
--
 Michael Mc Namara
 ESL Incorporated

mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (10/08/87)

if you are getting a tcp package for your system (I think you can get
a free one from CMU) look at the PMDF mailer from Harvey Mudd College.
Send mail to ned@ymir.bitnet.

				/Bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@zodiac.bitnet

robert@hslrswi.UUCP (J. Robert Ward) (10/09/87)

In article <503@esl.UUCP> Michael McNamara writes:
>We have a number of unix machines, both system 5 and Ultrix.  We are going
>to convert one of our vaxes to VMS. We are interested in any VMS <=> unix
>mail interfaces.  The machines will all share an ethernet; the Ultrix machine
>runs decnet; hence a LAN based mail scheme would be nice.
>However, as the machines are all in the same room, an RS-232 link would
>suffice.
>
> Michael Mc Namara
> ESL Incorporated
> ARPA: mac%esl@lll-lcc.ARPA

We have got mail running between VMS and our Unix machines using a
MicroVax-II running Ultrix 1.2 as the mail gateway. Mail goes in both
directions and works reliably. On the VMS side, mail is sent to and
from the VMS-Mail sub-system, not All-In-One or anything like that.

To get this working, we bought the DECnet package for Ultrix (version
1.0) so that this machine speaks both DECnet and TCP/IP. The Ultrix/
DECnet package comes with a program called mail11 that may be used to
send mail to the VMS systems. This package is very easy to install and
get working but you need to make some (probably very slight)
modifications to your sendmail.cf file so that it understands when to
route mail through mail11. The Ultrix machine receives mail from the
VMS machines using a server program that answers DECnet requests from
the network. This Ultrix/DECnet package also allows you to login
to and from your Ultrix machine and to transfer files between Ultrix
and VMS.

Cheers,
	- R.

    J. Robert Ward,						   ___________
    Hasler AG, Belpstrasse 23, CH-3000 Berne 14, Switzerland	   |    _    |
								   |  _| |_  |
Tel.:	    +41 31 633922					   | |_   _| |
X.400:	    robert@hslrswi.hasler				   |   |_|   |
Bitnet:	    robert%hslrswi.UUCP@cernvax.BITNET	   		   |_________|
Uucp:	    ... {uunet,ukc,mcvax ... }!cernvax!hslrswi!robert

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (10/12/87)

In article <715@hslrswi.UUCP> robert@hslrswi.UUCP (J. Robert Ward) writes:

>In article <503@esl.UUCP> Michael McNamara writes:
>>We have a number of unix machines, both system 5 and Ultrix.  We are going
>>to convert one of our vaxes to VMS. We are interested in any VMS <=> unix
>>mail interfaces.  The machines will all share an ethernet; the Ultrix machine
>>runs decnet; hence a LAN based mail scheme would be nice.
>>However, as the machines are all in the same room, an RS-232 link would
>>suffice.
>>
>> Michael Mc Namara
>> ESL Incorporated
>> ARPA: mac%esl@lll-lcc.ARPA

 [ Deleted suggestion from
    J. Robert Ward, {uunet,ukc,mcvax ... }!cernvax!hslrswi!robert
   suggesting the DECNET software for Ultrix and hacking up
   sendmail.cf's, and all sorts of boring things ... ]

Since I just re-read the description of PMDF this morning I thought
I'd suggest this ...

PMDF is the program to run on the VMS side.  It can use DECNET,
DECNET-based mail, JNET (i.e. the bitnet software for VMS), SMTP
over TCP/IP (the Tek TCP/IP for VMS ... a.k.a. CMU/TEK TCP/IP,
and best of all it's free from CMU), SMTP over "arbitrary I/O channel",
and PSIMail as different transport mechanisms.  Oh, and also
the PhoneNet protocol which is used by CSNET, and is present
in MMDF and can be added to Sendmail.

It fully underastands rfc822 and rfc821 (when used with SMTP).

It is a "subset" of MMDF.  MMDF is available with all 4.3 systems
since it was included as User Contributed Software.  (NOTE, that
doesn't mean that it's installed on all 4.3 systems, but it's
available).  Oh, configuring MMDF is no longer a black art like
it used to be before MMDF-IIb.  Rather, it's not as much of a
black art as it was back then.  I also feel that it's easier to
do than configuring SendMail.  But that's all a matter of opinion.

PMDF is available for $50.00 (If you're not a CSNET member) from:

	Ned Freed (ned@ymir.bitnet)
	The PMDF Project
	Computing Services
	Harvey Mudd College
	Claremont, CA  91711
	(714) 621-8006

Make checks payable to "PMDF Project, Harvey Mudd College".

It includes a 9-track tape in VMS BACKUP format, and about
100 pages of printed documentation.  Included is the complete
Pascal source and executables for PMDF, PhoneNet and the various
interfaces to other transport mechanisms.

You're free to use it on as many systems with a single site as
you like, but you can't redistribute it.  Also, it's not available
via FTP from anywhere.  Some mailing lists of interest:

	rpmdf@ymir.bitnet	requests, administrivia
	ipmdf@ymir.bitnet	submissions to the list
	qpmdf@ymir.bitnet	queries for information about PMDF

Note.  I've never looked at this code nor used it.  I'm just
abstracting information from <57300007@gorgo.UUCP> posted on
19-May-87 by Steve Blasingame of Oklahoma City.

If I remember correctly the VMS world is working on using PMDF
as the basis for a mail/news network just like UUCP has been
used to build our network.  I think they'll be gatewaying
in and out of our network whereever feasable.

Hope this helps.
--
<---- David Herron,  Local E-Mail Hack,  david@ms.uky.edu, david@ms.uky.csnet
<----                    {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET