[comp.mail.uucp] neighbor with two phone lines

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (11/07/87)

Hi, folks!  Here comes a how-to question.  I have a new uucp neighbor
with two modems, and two phone lines to go with them.  I'd like to set
things up so that uucico will try one phone line, and if it doesn't
answer, try the other.  We have BNU (aka honey/danber) here, so I'd
guess that if it is possible, it would be done by some magic in the
Systems and/or Dialers files.  I can't find any hint in the manual
as to how I might do this.  It seems that with all the neat stuff in
this release of uucp, they must have thought of this common scenario.

Is there a way to do it?  Is it hidden in the manual somewhere?

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Brant Cheikes) (11/07/87)

In article <351@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>[...]  I have a new uucp neighbor
>with two modems, and two phone lines to go with them.  I'd like to set
>things up so that uucico will try one phone line, and if it doesn't
>answer, try the other.  We have BNU (aka honey/danber) here [...]

Simply put two entries for your neighbor in your Systems file, one
for each phone number.  HDB uucico will do just what you want.  I've
done this successfully with HDB on my UNIXpc.

---
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania
ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu

kdavis@lamc.UUCP (Ken Davis) (11/08/87)

In article <351@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>Hi, folks!  Here comes a how-to question.  I have a new uucp neighbor
>with two modems, and two phone lines to go with them.  I'd like to set
>things up so that uucico will try one phone line, and if it doesn't
>answer, try the other.  We have BNU (aka honey/danber) here, so I'd
>guess that if it is possible, it would be done by some magic in the
>Systems and/or Dialers files.  I can't find any hint in the manual

Make an additional entry in /usr/lib/uucp/Systems with the site's
other number.  BNU will try the first number, and if unable to
connect, will go to the second.  Leave the entry the same; just
change the number.

--
        Ken Davis - Letterman Army Medical Center - San Francisco, CA
  {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,pyramid}!ptsfa!lamc!kdavis  kdavis@optimis-pent.arpa

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (11/08/87)

If you have multiple entries in your Systems (or L-sys) file for a
particular system, the uucico will try them one at a time, until all
are exhausted.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

terrell@musky2.UUCP (11/10/87)

In article <351@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>I'd like to set things up so that uucico will try one phone line,
>and if it doesn't answer, try the other.  We have BNU (aka honey/danber)
  [...]
>Is there a way to do it?  Is it hidden in the manual somewhere?

We are also using BNU on an AT&T 3B2/300.  Ours does that automatically;
when it dials, it uses the first number for that machine listed in the
Systems file.  If that fails it tries the same number a second time.  If
THAT fails, then it checks to see if there is another entry in the Systems
file for the remote system and, if so, will try that entry up to 2 times, etc.

This behavior is not mentioned anywhere in the manuals, but that's the way
it works.

Roger Terrell

--

Roger Terrell
Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)

rabbit@psivax.UUCP (Joe Kwan) (11/10/87)

In article <351@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>Hi, folks!  Here comes a how-to question.  I have a new uucp neighbor
>with two modems, and two phone lines to go with them.  I'd like to set
>things up so that uucico will try one phone line, and if it doesn't
>answer, try the other.  We have BNU (aka honey/danber) here, so I'd
>guess that if it is possible, it would be done by some magic in the
>Systems and/or Dialers files.

Some others have suggested duplicate Systems entries.  But you can
also create duplicate Devices entries.  Just call them by the same name
and uucico will try one device, and if that doesn't work, it will try
the next device.  This is all from memory.  I haven't really done this.

--
Joe Kwan
Systems Analyst

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <1874@psivax.UUCP>, rabbit@psivax.UUCP (Joe Kwan) writes:
> Some others have suggested duplicate Systems entries.  But you can
> also create duplicate Devices entries.  Just call them by the same name
> and uucico will try one device, and if that doesn't work, it will try
> the next device.  This is all from memory.  I haven't really done this.

This will not work!!! for two reasons.

1) the requestor needs to dial a different number on the second
try.
2) the search through Devices is supposed to stop after the first
match.

To enter a backup number, simply duplicate you Systems entry for
that machine, and then change the spesifics for the second entry.

The entries should be ranked from prefered first to least favorable
last, as the system goes through them in order of occurance.  i.e.
the first entry is for an eather-net connection, second for inter-
office phone call, and third for PSTN (normal) phone call.

This type of thing will soon be common here as we have lan-bridges
and inter-city tie lines which we use "free", but if it has to go
accross a distance and the T1 is down, then we will just have to
call.

Rob.

rabbit@psivax.UUCP (Joe Kwan) (12/09/87)

In article <289@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
>In article <1874@psivax.UUCP>, rabbit@psivax.UUCP (Joe Kwan) writes:
>> Some others have suggested duplicate Systems entries.  But you can
>> also create duplicate Devices entries.  Just call them by the same name
>> and uucico will try one device, and if that doesn't work, it will try
>> the next device.  This is all from memory.  I haven't really done this.
>
>This will not work!!! for two reasons.

Yes, you're right.  I believe the original question was about calling
to two different phone numbers.  You do need two separate entries in
the Systems file to specify different phone numbers.  But, you can
still have two or more device entries for uucico to try if one is
busy.  The device selected will dial the phone number from the Systems
entry.

Joe