[comp.mail.uucp] Getting an MS-DOS computer onto the UUCP network

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (12/30/87)

In article <3194@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
>I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write
>all the programs I need to do this.  I would have to call up the host every
>once in a while and ask it for any new mail/news articles.  Anybody have any
>suggestions as to the best way to do this?

Take a look at UUPC (UUPC for Personal Computers) before you start off
on your own programs, you can probably save some time that way.

On BITNET, you can retrieve the UUPC sources distribution from the
server at LISTSERV@NDSUVM1.  Just send it the command "GET MINIX UUPCn",
where "n" is a digit between 0 and 8.

For more information on how to use the server, send it the "HELP" command.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <Samuel.Lam@van-bc.UUCP> or
{ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!skl

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (01/01/88)

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) wrote:
> In article <3194@psuvax1.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) writes:
> >I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write
> >all the programs I need to do this.  I would have to call up the host every
> >once in a while and ask it for any new mail/news articles.  Anybody have any
> >suggestions as to the best way to do this?
>
> Take a look at UUPC (UUPC for Personal Computers) before you start off
> on your own programs, you can probably save some time that way.

   And there is UFGATE...

| ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar      |
|                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406      |
|  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904 |
|         USNail:  KKSF  77 Maiden Lane  San Francisco CA 94108       |

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (01/02/88)

>>I'd like to get my MS-DOS computer on the uucp network.  I'm willing to write
>>all the programs I need to do this.  I would have to call up the host every
>>once in a while and ask it for any new mail/news articles.  Anybody have any
>>suggestions as to the best way to do this?
>
>Take a look at UUPC (UUPC for Personal Computers) before you start off
>on your own programs, you can probably save some time that way.

Now here is something that is getting a little drawn out for me.  I
would like to see UUPC for at least the IBM PC, but also for the
Amiga.  Now, I've been told how to get via Bitnet, and by annonymous
ftp, both of which I am unable to do.  I have also been given the
address to contact for these items.  I have mailed to the address
three times, with never a response.  However, since I've never
received a failed reply, I must assume that it at least reached it's
destination.  Of course, in the time that has past, I have lost the
address (as usual).

Now, how can I get my hands on this without pulling my own teeth?

Email response is preferred.

Thanks in advance...

| Robert J. Granvin      | INTERNET:       rjg@sialis.mn.org |                |
| 2701 West 43rd Street  | UUCP:  ...ihnp4!meccts!sialis!rjg |   "Whoops!!"   |
| Minneapolis, MN  55410 |   ...uunet!rosevax!ems!sialis!rjg |________________|