[comp.mail.uucp] UUPC: Backlog

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (01/05/88)

In article <71@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>I would like to see UUPC for at least the IBM PC, but also for the
>Amiga.  Now, I've been told how to get via Bitnet, and by annonymous
>ftp, both of which I am unable to do.  I have also been given the
>address to contact for these items.  I have mailed to the address
>three times, with never a response.

There is currently a large (no kidding) backlog of mail waiting at
the UUPC request mailbox here that I can certainly use an extra half-time
staff to help sort out if someone would like to fund that. :-)

Seriously, the backlog we currently have is large, and we don't like it
that way, but we can only do our best with the limited time we have got.
(And the time we spent on mail only takes away from the little time we
have got to try to prepare the next release with.)

I don't like to complain, the response we have been getting for UUPC has
been fantastic, and we love it, but there is only 24 hours to a day
and there are a lot of things that we have to squeeze in there.  UUPC
had been a spare time project for all of us, and will likely continue to
remain so... (unless, again, someone want to fund this "research")

>Now, how can I get my hands on this without pulling my own teeth?

If you can't do BITNET nor ARPAnet FTP, then the options I can currently
think of are:

  1) directly UUCP it from van-bc
  2) find a nearby comp.sources.misc archive
  3) find someone else that has it

Having us mail out the UUPC distribution by e-mail is definitely NOT
an option, as we could not abuse our UUCP neighbours nor could we
afford the real $ cost of sending such large files out via UUNET a few
times a week.  So, please save us all some trouble by not asking for
the impossible.  Thanks.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <Samuel.Lam@van-bc.UUCP> or
{ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!van-bc!skl

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (01/06/88)

In article <1651@van-bc.UUCP> skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) writes:
>In article <71@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>I would like to see UUPC for at least the IBM PC, but also for the
>
>Having us mail out the UUPC distribution by e-mail is definitely NOT
>an option, as we could not abuse our UUCP neighbours nor could we
>afford the real $ cost of sending such large files out via UUNET a few

Of course for sites with DIRECT access to UUNET you should be able to
download it directly. It's in uunet!~ftp/uupc.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

dkovar@lf-server-2.BBN.COM (David Kovar) (01/07/88)

  I think I missed something here. Is there a version of UUCP for the mac that
is available via anonymous FTP? (The posting showed up in comp.sys.mac, which
is why I am asking.) If so, could someone tell me, via mail, how to obtain
the distribution via anonymous FTP? Thank you ....

-David Kovar
 DKovar@BBN.COM

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (01/08/88)

in article <1651@van-bc.UUCP>, skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) says:

> Having us mail out the UUPC distribution by e-mail is definitely NOT
> an option

Well, wonder if the answer isn't to repost it to the net?

Unfortunately, the notion of getting things from 'archives' presumes a
much more directly communicative relationship than exists for many,
many netnews readers and their sites.

UUPC sounds like a very, very useful program to have, and the appreciation
everyone feels for it, unfortunately, is bound to be expressed by
'secondary' requests, which can only occur once the word gets around.

Anyway, thanks for the effort, and hope I personally will someday get
a chance to use it.

Clive Steward

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (01/08/88)

In article <1651@van-bc.UUCP>, skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) writes:
> In article <71@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
> >I would like to see UUPC for at least the IBM PC, but also for the
> >Amiga.  Now, I've been told how to get via Bitnet, and by annonymous
> >ftp, both of which I am unable to do.
>
> >Now, how can I get my hands on this without pulling my own teeth?
>
> If you can't do BITNET nor ARPAnet FTP, then the options I can currently
> think of are:
>
>   1) directly UUCP it from van-bc
>   2) find a nearby comp.sources.misc archive
>   3) find someone else that has it

I have it and have PC Pursuit.  I'd be willing to send it to anyone who
wants to set up a (temporary) uucp link, can receive calls (at 1200 baud),
and is in a PC Pursuit'able city.

For those not knowing if they are in a PC Pursuit'able city, the current
list is the following:

Atlanta, GA; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Cleveland, OH; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO
Detroit, MI; Glendale, CA; Hartford, CT; Houston, TX; Kansas City, MO
Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Milwaukee, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Newark, NJ
New York, NY; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Palo Alto, CA; Portland, OR
Research Triangle Park, NC; Riverside, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; Santa Ana, CA
Sacramento, CA; San Diego, CA; St. Louis, MO; San Francisco, CA; San Jose, CA
Seattle, WA; Tampa, FL; Washington, DC

Some of these are new cities, it might be awhile before service is
established.

Send me login info, and I'll send it out your way.
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (01/08/88)

In article <6374@drutx.ATT.COM> clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:
>in article <1651@van-bc.UUCP>, skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) says:
>
>> Having us mail out the UUPC distribution by e-mail is definitely NOT
>> an option
>
>Well, wonder if the answer isn't to repost it to the net?
>
>Unfortunately, the notion of getting things from 'archives' presumes a
>much more directly communicative relationship than exists for many,
>many netnews readers and their sites.

I am willing to send out the complete UPC distribution as posted to
comp.sources.misc, to anyone who sends me a blank diskette.

You need to send a blank disk, either DS/DD 5.25 or 3.5 inch, with a
label with your return address, and sufficient postage to return the
disk ( I have no spare cash :-) ), in a re-usable mailer, to

Wolf Paul
c/o EES
6730 LBJ Freeway #2195
Dallas TX 75240

Turnaround should be about a couple of days, not counting weekends.

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp

gustwick@auscso.UUCP (Bob Gustwick) (01/10/88)

In article <1766@swlabs.UUCP>, jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) writes:
> I have it and have PC Pursuit.  I'd be willing to send it to anyone who
> wants to set up a (temporary) uucp link, can receive calls (at 1200 baud),
> and is in a PC Pursuit'able city.

what is pc pursuit???

...bob

wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) (01/11/88)

In article <1388@auscso.UUCP> gustwick@auscso.UUCP (Bob Gustwick) writes:

>what is pc pursuit???
>
>...bob

PC Pursuit is a terrific service provided by telnet inc.  It allows you to
have unlimited numbers of data calls to (25?) major cities for only $25 a
month, as long as the calls are between 6pm and 7am (relatively long hours.)
You can still make the calls between 7am and 6pm, it just costs $10-$15 an
hour... which is probably still a savings from AT&T, especially if you're
calling across the country.  It's a great thing for dial-up networks such
as UUCP and FidoNet, as you can have a link to a node that's quite far away
for very little charge.

  Hope that helped...
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu
 /--<  o // //     ,-/-, _  __  __  _  __     ihnp4!psuvax1!psuhcx.bitnet!wcf
/___/_<_</_</_    (_/   </_/ <_/ <_</_/ (_

psyebh@prcpto.PRC.SID (Elliot Hans) (01/14/88)

In article <6374@drutx.ATT.COM>, clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:
| in article <1651@van-bc.UUCP>, skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) says:
|
| > Having us mail out the UUPC distribution by e-mail is definitely NOT
| > an option
|
| Well, wonder if the answer isn't to repost it to the net?

	Second that motion!

Elliot Hans
Planning Research Corp, VA
...!uunet!pyrdc!prcpto!psyebh
(703) 661-5167

NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) (01/15/88)

FYI,
    The complete UUPC distribution can be retrieved from LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 by
sending a mail message to it with one of the following lines as the letters
contents:
COMMAND                 WHAT IT DOES
-------                 ------------
index                   Retrieve a list of the files available
index minix             Retrieve a list of the MINIX files available
get minix uupc#         Retrieve one of the 9 UUPC files
                        (# is a number from 0 to 8)

FYI,
   Here are some possible paths to LISTSERV@NDSUVM1

Internet: LISTSERV%NDSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
BITNET:   LISTSERV@NDSUVM1
UUCP:     ..!psuvax1!NDSUVM1.BITNET!LISTSERV

                           Good Luck To All,
                                   -Tim McDonough