[comp.mail.uucp] "From" in received mail

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/07/88)

I'm running SysVr3 on a 3B2/400, using 'mailx' as my mail program.
Every message I receive has the following header lines:
  From uucp <day> <date>
  >From uucp <day> <date> forwarded by uucp
  >From rutgers!<path stuff> remote from princeton

If I try to use mailx's "r", it sends mail to my own uucp!  What's
happening and is there anything I can do about it?  Thx.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

slim@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Slim Whitman) (01/08/88)

I have a couple of questions for you experts out there:

1) I'm just getting into news, how do I post an article directly without
followingup or replying?
2) regarding the network, is there a way to find out if a given site is on the
network?  For instance, I have a friend at California State University at
Northridge and I wasn't sure how to get to there ( or if there was a way ).

	thanks in advance,

		-scott whitman (slim@ohio-state.arpa)

ntm1569@dsacg3.UUCP (Jeff Roth) (01/08/88)

in article <4044@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, slim@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Slim Whitman) says:

> 1) I'm just getting into news, how do I post an article directly without
> followingup or replying?

try "postnews"

> 2) regarding the network, is there a way to find out if a given site is on
> the network?  For instance, I have a friend at California State University at
> Northridge and I wasn't sure how to get to there ( or if there was a way ).

try "findpath", if that utility is available on your system. look for
machine "csun". for an arbitrary site, where you do not know machine name,
see if you can find the UUCP maps on your system; here they go to
/usr/spool/uucppublic/uumap. grep e.g. orthridge *.usa.ca.*.
--
Jeff Roth               {uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!jroth
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center | 614-238-9421

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/10/88)

Just type
	postnews
and the program of that name will take over!
--

psyebh@prcpto.PRC.SID (Elliot Hans) (01/14/88)

In article <4044@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, slim@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Slim Whitman) writes:

| I have a couple of questions for you experts out there:
|
| 1) I'm just getting into news, how do I post an article directly without
| followingup or replying?

	Use the "postnews" command.

Elliot Hans
Planning Research Corp, VA
...!uunet!pyrdc!prcpto!psyebh
(703) 661-5167

derykm@psc90.UUCP (Deryk Marien) (01/19/88)

In article <219@prcpto.PRC.SID> psyebh@prcpto.PRC.SID (Elliot Hans) writes:
>In article <4044@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, slim@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Slim Whitman) writes:
>|

>| I have a couple of questions for you experts out there:
>|
>| 1) I'm just getting into news, how do I post an article directly without
>| followingup or replying?
>

>	Use the "postnews" command.

	Type in Pnews, and instruction should come up on the screen.
If not then look in your HOME directory for a file called .pnewsexpert.
Remove this file, and  type Pnews. Be carefull what editor you use if
you are not familiar with vi.
Good Luck.

|  |  Deryk Marien  |  |           |-----|-----|
|  | (psc90!pyr177) |  |           |-----|-----|