[comp.mail.uucp] HDB UUCP fails on AT&T 3B2/310

lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (12/22/87)

Has anyone else experienced problems with HoneyDanBer UUCP running on
an AT&T 3B2/310, Version 3.0 of the operating system?  I have noticed
the following quite frequently:

	1.	Sending compressed binaries (16-bit compression) with
		Penril modem 8216 from an AT&T 3B2 to another AT&T 3B2
		long distance, I receive the imfamous:

			CONVERSATION FAILED
			IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE

	2.	Uncompress binary, send either full size or use the "pack"
		utility sends fine.  It is always the same program
		that bombs.

We had to remove our compress-batched news feed because of this problem.
I have heard this is a problem with noise on the line, but I seriously
doubt it.  I watched the UUCP in -x9 debug mode, and it bombs at one
particular point (same point) each time.  Is there a "sequence of
characters" that is bombing my modem to command mode?  (ie. like the
"+++" sequence on a Hayes compatible modem?)  NOTE: I have the command
feature turned off on these modems.

When this happens the modem sends-receives-sends fine, but at the "critical"
point, it stops... pauses for about 1 minute, then bursts of SEND and RECEIVE
data at the same time, soon after leading to the failure.

Any ideas?  I don't like sending 300K binaries, when I can send 150K compressed
ones! Especially LONG DISTANCE!

						Thanks,
						Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano                  UUCP:      ...uunet!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.        ...cmcl2!phri!bc-cis!icus!quincy!lenny  -or-

heff@flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul K Heffner) (12/22/87)

in article <75@quincy.UUCP>, lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) says:
> Has anyone else experienced problems with HoneyDanBer UUCP running on
> an AT&T 3B2/310, Version 3.0 of the operating system?  I have noticed
> the following quite frequently:
> 	1.	Sending compressed binaries (16-bit compression) with
> 		Penril modem 8216 from an AT&T 3B2 to another AT&T 3B2
> 		long distance, I receive the imfamous:
> 			CONVERSATION FAILED
> 			IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE

I only have seen this litle goodie pop up on our 3b2's when the
size of the file being sent exceeds the ulimit of that allowed
for the login 'nuucp' or whatever is being sent. Obviously this is
a problem for the receiving machine as if you already have the file
on your machine you have no problems there. If this is your problem,
there is a tunable parameter in Release 3 to bump up the ulimit globally.
Other hacks are available to set ulimits on a by-user basis.

Paul Heffner
ATT-Orlando

dhp@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Douglas H. Price) (12/24/87)

Occasionally, some modems have a "pattern sensitivity" to a certain string of
characters.  I seem to remember somewhere in the misty past, someone telling me
that there are modems that will revert to local loop-back if they see long
strings of zero bytes.  Clearly this is a bug, but is related to the brand of
the modem.

--
						Douglas H. Price
						Analysts International Corp.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Phil Smith) (12/28/87)

As quoted from <139@flnexus.ATT.COM> by heff@flnexus.ATT.COM (Paul K Heffner):
+---------------
| in article <75@quincy.UUCP>, lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) says:
| > 	1.	Sending compressed binaries (16-bit compression) with
| > 		Penril modem 8216 from an AT&T 3B2 to another AT&T 3B2
| > 		long distance, I receive the imfamous:
| > 			CONVERSATION FAILED
| > 			IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE
|
| I only have seen this litle goodie pop up on our 3b2's when the
| size of the file being sent exceeds the ulimit of that allowed
+---------------

Ah, but Lenny goes on to say that the UNcompressed files transfer with no
errors.  Assuming that the files in question didn't reverse-compress, they
should be even MORE likely to fail if it were a ulimit problem.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, Moderator of comp.sources.misc
 {hoptoad,harvard!necntc,cbosgd,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery

ford@crash.cts.com (Michael Ditto) (12/28/87)

In article <75@quincy.UUCP> lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>	1.	Sending compressed binaries (16-bit compression) with
>		Penril modem 8216 from an AT&T 3B2 to another AT&T 3B2
>		long distance, I receive the imfamous:
>
>			CONVERSATION FAILED
>			IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE

This sounds like something I've seen happen with "normal" (non-HDB) uucp.
I had a large (almost 1 Meg) compressed tar archive that I tried to send
to another system.  The transfer was attempted five different times, to
two different systems, and never worked.  I don't remember if the transfer
always stopped at a certain point (the only way to tell would be from the
call duration).  The logfile showed the above "SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT
FAILURE" message every time.  All three systems were Unix PCs running the
normal uucp.

I split the large file into four pieces and they all went through on the
first try.  I was suspecting that there might be some sequence of bytes
that interferes with the "G" uucp protocol, but I doubt that spliting
the file would have fixed that.  (I split the file with dd(1), so the
smaller files contain the exact same bytes as the original, just split
up).

I have transfered files larger than this before without problems.

Does anyone know if the uucp protocol is at all data-dependent?  I thought
it basically just packetized the file into 64-byte chunks with a header,
or something like that.

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (12/30/87)

In article <2211@crash.cts.com> ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:
>>			CONVERSATION FAILED
>>			IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE

>This sounds like something I've seen happen with "normal" (non-HDB) uucp.
>I had a large (almost 1 Meg) compressed tar archive that I tried to send
>to another system.  The transfer was attempted five different times, to
>two different systems, and never worked.  I don't remember if the transfer
>always stopped at a certain point (the only way to tell would be from the
>call duration).  The logfile showed the above "SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT
>FAILURE" message every time.  All three systems were Unix PCs running the
>normal uucp.

>I split the large file into four pieces and they all went through on the
>first try.  I was suspecting that there might be some sequence of bytes
>that interferes with the "G" uucp protocol, but I doubt that spliting
>the file would have fixed that.  (I split the file with dd(1), so the
>smaller files contain the exact same bytes as the original, just split
>up).

>Does anyone know if the uucp protocol is at all data-dependent?  I thought
>it basically just packetized the file into 64-byte chunks with a header,
>or something like that.

This happened here a year or so back before our news feed converted to a
sendbatch which limited the size of batch files to 50k. I came home one day
to find that my system had been dutifully trying to download the same larger
than 1MB news file for the better part of 24 hours. Each time it would stop
at some point between 500 and 600 kb.

In this case a simple change in modem and the file came through first time.

What (seems) to be happening in these cases is that you are experiencing a
noisy communications channel. Uucico will only try upto 5 times to receive a
packet. If there are five bad tries it will abort

For a specific error rate it is not to hard to compute how long you can run
before you will get a packet which has five errors in a row.

The solution is to get better/different lines (or modems); or split the file
into chunks that are smaller than the expected value for failure. This can
be empirically done simply by averaging the size of the temporary (TM.)
files which are (usually) left after the failure.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

cmv@ihlpm.ATT.COM (C M Votava) (01/29/88)

>In article <2211@crash.cts.com> ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:
>> In article <75@quincy.UUCP> lenny@quincy.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>> >	1.	Sending compressed binaries (16-bit compression) with
>> >		Penril modem 8216 from an AT&T 3B2 to another AT&T 3B2
>> >		long distance, I receive the imfamous:
>> >
>> >			CONVERSATION FAILED
>> >			IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE
>>
>> This sounds like something I've seen happen with "normal" (non-HDB) uucp.
>> I had a large (almost 1 Meg) compressed tar archive that I tried to send
>> to another system.  The transfer was attempted five different times, to
>> two different systems, and never worked.  I don't remember if the transfer
>> always stopped at a certain point (the only way to tell would be from the
>> call duration).  The logfile showed the above "SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT
>> FAILURE" message every time.  All three systems were Unix PCs running the
>> normal uucp.

I've just encountered a problem exactly like this, here's what I did to fix it:

A file of considerable size was being routed thru my machine to another
machine via uucp. The connection would start up as normal, and after about
20 minutes the 'ol CONVERSATION FAILED IN SEND/SLAVE MODE INPUT FAILURE message
kicked out and it died. So, I started up a uucico myself with Uutry -r -x7 mach,
and watched what happened. It started up normally, started reading data into
the temp file, but once the temp file reached 2048 blocks (512 byte blocks on
my system) I saw a "failure to write to file" message kick out before the
uucico died. I puzzled over this for a minute (I was running ksh), then typed
"ulimit" and lo and behold, the ulimit size was 2048! To test out my theory, I
became super-user and typed "ulimit 4096; Uutry -r -x7 mach" and after 20
minutes, the file was 2059 blocks and still growing!

So, my first guess is that the ulimit on the machine you're sending to is
preventing the temp file from growing and causing the error you described.
The second problem that I ran into (which may or may not effect you) that
caused this problem is as follows:

I reset the attention sequence on my 2-way datakit lines to be ctrl-\ instead
of 2 breaks. I did this for 5620/630 users, so when they called out from a
window (thus disabling breaks) they could still get the datakit's attention.
Anyway, soon after I did this, I started seeing this problem happening and
found out that this ascii sequence sometimes, by chance, appears in binary
files, so when you try to send the sequence across, datakit interceps it
and throws you into datakit attention mode (thus halting the connection).
The fix was easy, in the dialers script, I added a sequence to the chat
script that would reset the datakit attention sequence to NONE.

The moral of this second story is be careful of your LAN and make sure it's
set to ignore all ascii characters for attention.

Hope this helps!

-Craig "looking-for-a-new-job" Votava
[ihnp4!]looney!cmv
[ihnp4!]ihlpm!cmv