[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP gatewaying to CSNET, BITNET, ARPANet, etc.

root@mjbtn.UUCP (The Super User) (02/16/88)

I have recently had a user request the ability to correspond with a colleague
who is on CSNET.  I have also made some attempts to send mail back and forth
between a user on a BITNET site, but I could never get mail to come back to
me here on UUCP.  Can anyone out there PLEASE give me a thorough lesson in
addressing (using pathalias and domains) net mail between various networks.
I need to be able to go both ways.  I know it is fairly straightforward once
you understand it, but when you don't, it is impossible.

I would be most appreciative for any advise and suggestions.  Thank you.

Mark J. Bailey
...!{codas,ihnp4,sys1,cbosgd}!killer!mjbtn!root
In the HEART of Middle Tennessee!  Yaa'all come bak now, ya hear!

lamy@ai.toronto.edu (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/17/88)

UUCP to Bitnet: route the message through psuvax1!foo.bitnet!user

Bitnet to UUCP: likely a no-op.  Many Bitnet mailers follow an older standard
and cannot accept anything but user@site syntax, where site has to be in
their tables and user has to be shorter than 8 characters.

For example, even though this university has a Bitnet gateway that will
forward mail (mailing to lamy@ai.utoronto or lamy@ai.toronto.edu will work
on correctly configured and up to par Bitnet sites), many Bitnet sites simply
cannot reach me that way.

UUCP to Internet:  route through one of many major machines, uunet being
the canonical example.  uunet!ai.toronto.edu!user  should work.

Internet to UUCP: Two possibilities, depending on the mailers (assuming the
machine does not understand user@machine.uucp already). Again using uunet
as the canonical gateway (any other will do).
machine1!machine2!user@uunet.uu.net  should work fine.

Other gateways prefer
user%machine1%machine2@ga.te.way

uunet dislikes the second form.  Any gateway that complies with RFC 976
should handle them (the bigger universities with Usenet access are likely
candidates).

Jean-Francois Lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science           lamy@ai.toronto.edu
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4              uunet!ai.toronto.edu!lamy

rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) (02/18/88)

I've been having no problem getting from UUCP to the ARPANET and
BITNET, but I haven't had any need to contact anyone on CSNET.

If anyone knows of better ways to get to these networks I'd be more
than happy to hear them.

ARPANET:
	send	uunet!node.domain.xxx.ARPA!userid
	receive	userid%nodename.UUCP@seismo.gss.gov
BITNET:
	send	uunet!bitnet-node.BITNET!userid
	receive	userid%nodename.uucp@seismo.css.gov.BITNET
			OR
	send	...!psuvax1!bitnet-node.BITNET!userid
	receive	userid%nodename.uucp@psuvax1.psu.{bitnet,psu.edu,uucp}

CSNET: {---- never tried ----}
	send	uunet!relay.cs.net!csnet-node!user-id
	receive	userid$nodename@relay.cs.net

Unfortunately, as I said, I've never tried this CSNET addressing.

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:	...{philabs,motown}\!mergvax\!rkxyv
ARPA:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@seismo.css.gov
BITNET:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@seismo.css.gov.BITNET
SNAIL-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434 - 2729

pricejk@lafcol.UUCP (Price Janet K) (02/22/88)

In article <101@mjbtn.UUCP>, root@mjbtn.UUCP (The Super User) writes:
> I have recently had a user request the ability to correspond with a colleague
> who is on CSNET.  I have also made some attempts to send mail back and forth
> between a user on a BITNET site, but I could never get mail to come back to
> me here on UUCP.  Can anyone out there PLEASE give me a thorough lesson in
> addressing (using pathalias and domains) net mail between various networks.

Another problem we have encountered with mail coming to UUCP from BITNET
is that recently some of it has been coming in with upshifted userids.
This didn't used to happen.  We have corrected this problem by adding
uppercase aliases.  We have used the same syntax for going to CSNET as
for going out to BITNET:  we simply specify the network following the
host name and separated with a period, as, for example, carleton.csnet
or amherst.bitnet.  CSNET mail seems to take longer than BITNET mail for
some reason.

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (02/23/88)

In article <306@mergvax.UUCP> rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) writes:
>If anyone knows of better ways to get to these networks I'd be more
>than happy to hear them.

OK, since you asked, here's how things look from the UUCP world, if
you're operating without benefit of smail:

>ARPANET:
>	send	uunet!node.domain.xxx.ARPA!userid

There's no such thing as a subdomain of .ARPA.  You probably meant to
say something more like "uunet!node.sub.dom.ain!userid".  Iff the
machine really is on the ARPAnet proper, then ".sub.dom.ain" will be
".ARPA".

>	receive	userid%nodename.UUCP@seismo.gss.gov

Not only is it "seismo.Css.gov", but it's no longer doing what you
want it to do.  If your domain isn't in the UUCP maps, and/or nobody
is a mail exchanger (MX) for you, would more properly be addressed as
"userid%nodename.uucp@uunet.uu.net".

>BITNET:
>	send	uunet!bitnet-node.BITNET!userid

Right!

>	receive	userid%nodename.uucp@seismo.css.gov.BITNET

Again, say something more like "userid%nodename.uucp@uunet.uu.net",
but this entirely depends upon whether the user agent and mailer on
the Bitnet end can handle domains.

>			OR
>	send	...!psuvax1!bitnet-node.BITNET!userid

This is your best bet.

>	receive	userid%nodename.uucp@psuvax1.psu.{bitnet,psu.edu,uucp}

Again, this depends upon the sanity of the mail software on the Bitnet
machine.  The closest you could get might be
"userid%nodename.uucp@psuvax1", because psuvax1 is the way that
machine looks from the Bitnet side of things.

>CSNET: {---- never tried ----}
>	send	uunet!relay.cs.net!csnet-node!user-id
>	receive	userid$nodename@relay.cs.net

The CSnet relay systems are part of the ARPA-Internet domain scheme,
and you can use the same conventions as described above.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (02/23/88)

In article <7025@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> Iff the machine really is on the ARPAnet proper, then ".sub.dom.ain" will be
>".ARPA".

No! The .ARPA domain was originally created to ease the transition from a
domainless hostname system to the domain name system. The idea was to first
get everybody used to having domain names by tacking a ".ARPA" on the end
of their names (as MIT-XX became MIT-XX.ARPA). Then they would change from
the .ARPA domain to their own organization's domain (MIT-XX.ARPA becomes
XX.LCS.MIT.EDU - LCS = Laboratory for Computer Science for those who are
curious). As of yet, not everybody has their own domains - MILNET hosts
in particular have been very slow about this since the DDN wanted think
about it for a long time.

So there are some hosts still using .ARPA but they are not all on the ARPANET
itself and in the end the intention is that *no one* should be using
.ARPA.  XX.LCS.MIT.EDU is on the ARPANET; its proper name is in the MIT.EDU
domain.

Domains identify organizations, not networks.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (03/07/88)

> Another problem we have encountered with mail coming to UUCP from BITNET
> is that recently some of it has been coming in with upshifted userids.

Yeah, and upshifted host names, in some cases.  Which brings up a question
I've had for some time, and which TFM doesn't seem to answer:  Is there a
way to hostname aliasing with various versions of uucp?  I'm most interested
in BNU (hdb), as that's what's running here, but I'm sure others would like
to hear the answer for their system.

There are several reasons for wanting this.  For instance, one of my links
is to mit-eddie (along with half of New England, I think).  It'd be real
nice if I could say "eddie!..." rather than "mit-eddie!...".  Yes, I really
am that lazy.  I've also gotten mail with "MIT-EDDIE" in the path, and it'd
be nice if the mailer here could be made to handle responses without first
bouncing them back to me for further editing.

Now, I could of course intercept /bin/mail and /bin/rmail, and add my own
lookup to it.  Maybe I'd call the database "/usr/lib/aliases" or something
like that.  But perhaps it's already there in the code, and they just didn't
bother telling me about it.  Anyone know?

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

matt@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Matt Costello) (03/12/88)

In article <473@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>				...  Which brings up a question
>I've had for some time, and which TFM doesn't seem to answer:  Is there a
>way to hostname aliasing with various versions of uucp?  I'm most interested
>in BNU (hdb), as that's what's running here, but I'm sure others would like
>to hear the answer for their system.

UUCP is not the correct place to do hostname aliasing, except possibly for
case sensitivity.  I could not be too hard to fix the various versions of
UUCP to ignore alphabetic case when checking for the hostname.  Even easier
would be a simple modification to uucp/uux to convert host names on input
to lower case.  Upper case hostnames are a real drag when "pathalias -i"
is the approved technique to build routing tables.

>There are several reasons for wanting this.  For instance, one of my links
>is to mit-eddie (along with half of New England, I think).  It'd be real
>nice if I could say "eddie!..." rather than "mit-eddie!...".  Yes, I really
>am that lazy.  I've also gotten mail with "MIT-EDDIE" in the path, and it'd
>be nice if the mailer here could be made to handle responses without first
>bouncing them back to me for further editing.

The mail router in use at NCR allows this.  The 'next' information source
is used to look up simple host names in UUCP paths.  For example ncr-sd's
configuration file has the line

NEXTINFO sdcsvax ucsd!%s		# backbone changed

which re-routes mail from sdcsvax to ucsd since the functions of sdcsvax
mave been replaced by ucsd.  The host name ucsd is then looked up in the
'next' information source as well; it will be found in a sorted file as

ucsd	via-uux:ucsd!%s

which routes it to the "via-uux" mailer, which then ships it via UUCP to
ucsd.  The line also replaces UCSD, uCsD or UCsd with ucsd, forcing ucsd
to the correct alphabetic case.

Other mailers may be added at the drop of a hat by just adding a few
lines to the mail router configuration file.  This allows multiple
Message Transport Agents to be used, including PMDF, CompuServe
and BSMTP.  ncr-sd currently has 13 mailers defined.

The most interesting one is the "nameserver" mailer, which looks up
names address to the domain name SanDiego.NCR.COM using a separate
program.  The matching algorithm currently in use is fuzzy so mail
mis-addressed to Mutt.Ostello@SanDiego.NCR.COM will still get to me.
--
Matt Costello	<matt.costello@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 2926	<matt.costello%SanDiego.NCR.COM@Relay.CS.NET>