[comp.mail.uucp] Pathalias vs reality

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (03/01/88)

I'm listed in the USENET maps.  I run pathalias.  There's something I don't
understand.

How do I gracefully change my map data?  I have many uucp neighbors.  The
configuration changes from week to week, so the published pathalias data is
always somewhat out-of-date.

I can easily change my path.local file, and I dutifully mail the changes off
to the uucpmap folks, but it takes many weeks for the changed d.usa.wa.1 map
file to arrive back here.  Meanwhile, my new path.local file disagrees with
the now-stale map data for my site in d.usa.wa.1.  When pathalias sees this
stale old data, it treats it with as much respect as my path.local file.
This causes invalid routes to be built.

Of course, I can go edit the map postings, but this kind of approach is
decidedly non-deterministic.  When will another posting arrive and overwrite
my changes?  Will the new posting contain my changes, or will they have
"passed each other in the mail"?

My updated map data can take weeks to arrive via netnews.  (And a couple
updates never did arrive.)  Meanwhile, I must await the receipt of another
out-of-date comp.mail.maps posting that could invalidate my pathalias database
again.

What is the proper way to merge my path.local data with the comp.mail.maps data?

For example, I'd like pathalias to understand that my path.local file always
has precedence over anything posted to comp.mail.maps.  I furthermore expect
that most other sites would wish this as well.  Is this thinking correct?  If
so, how do others handle the situation?  It seems like such a common scenario;
is there a clean solution?
--
	    Jeff Stearns
    Domain: jeff@tc.fluke.COM

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (03/01/88)

In article <3008@fluke.COM> jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) writes:
>For example, I'd like pathalias to understand that my path.local file always
>has precedence over anything posted to comp.mail.maps.  I furthermore expect
>that most other sites would wish this as well.  Is this thinking correct?  If
>so, how do others handle the situation?  It seems like such a common scenario;
>is there a clean solution?

It would be nice if one could say

     pathalias u.* d.* -override path.local

and have everything in path.local supersede all corresponding info
in the other files.  But right now, the only way to supersede information
from one file is to show a lower cost for a route in another file.

Usually you will want to give a local link a slightly higher or lower
cost than the current published maps.  You can force such local
changes to override the published maps by lowering the costs of ALL
your local links to an abnormally low value, so they always override
the published values, and then adjusting these as necessary.  Then all
that matters is the relative weights of your local links to each
other.  For example, if you are site X and you talk to A, B, and C, you
could say:

X     A(10), B(10), C(8)

These are extraordinarily low costs, but their relative weights are all
that matter, and you will route most or all traffic through C
regardless of what the maps say.  In the above example, if you changed
B(10) to B(50), it would be nearly the same as marking B as dead, even
if the published cost to B was quite low.  The artificially-low costs to
A and C override the relatively high cost to B.

Note that the rest of the world never knows about these artificial costs
and is unaffected by them and relies only on the published maps.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (03/03/88)

In article <3008@fluke.COM> jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) writes:
>How do I gracefully change my map data?  I have many uucp neighbors.  The
>configuration changes from week to week, so the published pathalias data is
>always somewhat out-of-date.
>
>What is the proper way to merge my path.local data with the comp.mail.maps data?
>
>For example, I'd like pathalias to understand that my path.local file always
>has precedence over anything posted to comp.mail.maps.

Two things.  If the published maps say

	fluke	foo(HOURLY), bar(HOURLY)

and you now call foo on demand and have dropped your link to bar,
your path.local file should look like this:

	fluke	foo(DEMAND)
	dead	{fluke!bar}

Pathalias will always use the fastest route, so your declaration
for fluke!foo will effectively override the published one.  And
the 'dead' declaration will override anything elsewhere in the
maps.  When the lack of connection to bar finally propogates to
the maps, you can remove the 'dead' line.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	decvax!formtek!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{floyd,pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)

ntitley@btnix.UUCP (Nigel Titley) (03/10/88)

From article <3008@fluke.COM>, by jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns):
> I'm listed in the USENET maps.  I run pathalias.  There's something I don't
> understand.

	[ Many problems with keeping pathalias database up to date ]

Seems like a good argument for running domain based mailers.

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (03/13/88)

pathalias provides one sort of name service, dns (or udp/53) another.
pathalias is not an attempt to displace dns; by the same token, dns is
not equipped to provide uucp source routes.  to work properly, both
pathalias and dns require access to current data.  this is easy to get
in the internet, not so easy to get in a dialup network.

name service is the issue here, not "domain based mailers."  many of us
who run domain based mailers (or, in my case, domain tolerant mailers)
also rely heavily on pathalias.

	peter

ps:  i should add that i'm not at all unhappy with the timeliness of
the usenet maps.  at the very least, we've come a long way from the
days when smb, trb, sob, and ksh collected and redistributed the maps.
i agree that "posted" maps should not advertise data that change from
week to week.

jacob6@ntvax.UUCP (03/14/88)

Hi Jeff,

Iam just curious about the USNET maps, I will like to have all
node names in USA and how they connected to each other. If you
have any information on this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Jey Asirvatham

UUCP: convex!ntvax!jacob6

greg@ntvax.UUCP (03/14/88)

Jey, if you are interested I can send you the info we have on
our system.

greg