[comp.mail.uucp] Rerouting to uucp sites

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/23/88)

roberts@edsews.EDS.COM (Ted Roberts) wrote:
> I don't claim to know all that much either, but a couple of problems with this
> approach did strike me.  One example is that if you are trying to send to a
> site named (the infamous tut example) tut and had a path all laid out.  Along
> the way you run into a site that talks to the tut in ...Finland
> while the mail is actually directed to the tut in (I'm not sure about this one
> either) New Mexico.  The path gets truncated, the mail goes to Finland, and
> somebody wonders what the heck keeps happening to their mail.

Exactly this has been happening to me.  I set up a link to "athena",
an IBM RT PC at a nearby company in SF, many months ago.  I checked
that "athena" was not in use in the maps -- it wasn't, though athena.mit.edu
was there.

A month or two ago, I finally submitted a map update that includes
athena.  The site actually has disappeared since the one person there
who knew how to run it is back to school.  But every day I get from 1 to 5
bounced messages trying to get to some other "athena" because my map entry
seemed to indicate a good connection, and some site somewhere has decided
to redirect the mail via hoptoad.

If you ever want to spy on Dec's mail traffic, just advertise a very
low delay path to decvax and decwrl -- soon everybody will be sending you
mail for dec, which you can forward if you don't want them to notice
that you are spying on them...

Are we having fun yet?
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
		"Watch me change my world..." -- Liquid Theatre