[comp.mail.uucp] Pathalias cost for Trailblazer links

bossert@Thalatta.COM (John Bossert) (03/23/88)

Pathalias gives a cost of 200 (DIRECT) for "toll-free, on demand calls,"
and a cost of 95 (DEDICATED) for "high speed, dedicated links."  What
are people doing, if anything, to indicate Trailblazer links to other sites?

Peter, do you have an opinion?

--

In-Real-Life: John Bossert, Thalatta Corporation, (+1 206 643 7187)
Domain: bossert@Thalatta.COM   Path: uw-beaver!uw-entropy!thebes!bossert

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (03/23/88)

pathalias has a FAST keyword for trailblazers and the like, as in
DEMAND+FAST or DIRECT+FAST.  FAST is actually -80.

this is for version 9 of pathalias (the most recent posted version).

	peter

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/24/88)

In article <149@thebes.Thalatta.COM> bossert@Thalatta.COM (John Bossert) writes:
>What are people doing, if anything, to indicate Trailblazer links to other
>sites?

The purpose of the UUCP Map data is to generate reasonable paths. We tune our
links to get the paths we want, including various factors like past history,
phones costs, and TrailBlazers. In practice we don't rate our TrailBlazers all
that much cheaper than 2400bps modems, since (1) for mail they really aren't a
lot cheaper than 2400bps, and (2) we'd rather not become the primary east-west
mail backbone.

<csg>