[comp.mail.uucp] Multiple ph# for uucp

mohar@csed-1.UUCP (Mike Mohar) (03/24/88)

Does anybody know how to tell UUCP that there are multiple phone
numbers for a site it's trying to call.  The site I poll has 3 numbers
and quite often they're busy and uucp quits when I'd like it to try
the other phone numbers.

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (03/25/88)

In article <304@csed-37.csed-1.UUCP>, mohar@csed-1.UUCP (Mike Mohar) writes:

> Does anybody know how to tell UUCP that there are multiple phone
> numbers for a site it's trying to call.  The site I poll has 3 numbers
> and quite often they're busy and uucp quits when I'd like it to try
> the other phone numbers.

I'm running System V (Microport V/AT).  Just add a second entry in your
L.sys file.  When the first number fails, the second entry will be used.
I have one site with five numbers.  The system steps thru all five trying
to get a connection.
--
Internet: asp@puck.UUCP				Andy Puchrik
uucp: decvax!necntc!necis!puck!asp		Moonlight Systems

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/25/88)

In article <304@csed-37.csed-1.UUCP> mohar@csed-1.UUCP (Mike Mohar) writes:

|Does anybody know how to tell UUCP that there are multiple phone
|numbers for a site it's trying to call.  The site I poll has 3 numbers
|and quite often they're busy and uucp quits when I'd like it to try
|the other phone numbers.

This works for SysV R3.0, at least.

Make three entries for that site in /usr/lib/uucp/Systems.  They should
be identical except for phone number.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (03/26/88)

In article <304@csed-37.csed-1.UUCP>, mohar@csed-1.UUCP (Mike Mohar) writes:

> Does anybody know how to tell UUCP that there are multiple phone
> numbers for a site it's trying to call.  The site I poll has 3 numbers

Just duplicate the site's line in your Systems/L.sys file, with the difference
on each line being the phone number.  If uucico fails on the site's first line
it will then try the next line, and so on.

--
Michael Sullivan		{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
				sullivan@vsi.com

rosalia@mozart.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (03/27/88)

In article <304@csed-37.csed-1.UUCP> mohar@csed-1.UUCP (Mike Mohar) writes:

>Does anybody know how to tell UUCP that there are multiple phone
>numbers for a site it's trying to call.  The site I poll has 3 numbers
>and quite often they're busy and uucp quits when I'd like it to try
>the other phone numbers.

I think that any uucp supports this:  just have two *almost* identical
entries in "L.sys" (or "Systems"), with the same machine name, and
then a different phone number, and uucico will try the next if the
first fails.  In you case, you can have three entries, that differ
only in phone number.
--
						Mark Galassi
					...!icus!mozart!rosalia

greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) (03/27/88)

In article <304@csed-37.csed-1.UUCP> mohar@csed-1.UUCP (Mike Mohar) writes:
>Does anybody know how to tell UUCP that there are multiple phone
>numbers for a site it's trying to call.  The site I poll has 3 numbers
>and quite often they're busy and uucp quits when I'd like it to try
>the other phone numbers.

There will be doubtless many replies that say, "Put duplicate entries in
your Systems/L.sys file with different phone numbers."  This will work
\only/ \if/ the phone number is not a part of the login expect-send
sequences.  If you are in that boat, it is very hard to do.

UUCP distinguishes between two different times when it is evaluating
expect-send sequences (this assumes you have a UUCP that permits them
in more than one place, such as the Dialers file): when it is evaluating
the "login" information from Systems/L.sys, and all other times.  If
the latter fails, it assumes that it happened during the connection
sequence (that is, while establishing the connection between you and
the remote) and it will search for further entries, since they might
have a different connection path.  If it fails during the login
sequence, it stops, since further attempts at a login will presumably
also fail because the login/password is bad, or some such.

Thus, if you are forced to put "connection" information, such as phone
numbers, in the "login" sequencing area, your first dialing failure
will be fatal.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd