[comp.mail.uucp] Problem with caret

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (03/28/88)

Uux seems to treat the caret character '^' as some kind of command
character (same as '|' ?).  This causes problems when mailing to
addresses which contain this character, for example
Owner-Climbing^.pa@Xerox.COM.  (Xerox's distribution lists seem to have
'^' in their names.)

Does anyone know why uux handles '^' in this way?  Is there any software
which uses this "feature"?

(Sendmail likes to translate '^' into '!'.  So I disabled that
translation in sendmail.cf, and #ifdef-ed out the relevant code in uux,
only to have our next uucp neighbor reject mail to the above-mentioned
address.  Sigh.)

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (03/28/88)

For hysterical reasons, the Bourne shell considers a caret identical
to a pipe, and with the same function.

..b

ken@usceast.UUCP (Ken Sallenger) (03/29/88)

In article <8627@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
=>For hysterical reasons,

A Model 33 Teletype (yes, I have one! ;-) doesn't have a `|' on the
keyboard.

=>                        the Bourne shell considers a caret identical
=>to a pipe, and with the same function.

So, the next time you have to quote a grep pattern, you'll know why.
--
     Ken Sallenger         # Dept. of Computer Science +1 803 777-4611
     ken@usceast.UUCP      # Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael Thompson) (03/30/88)

In article <680@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>Uux seems to treat the caret character '^' as some kind of command
>character (same as '|' ?).  This causes problems when mailing to
	.
	.
	.
>Does anyone know why uux handles '^' in this way?  Is there any software
>which uses this "feature"?

	uux doesn't care about `^', `|', or `?', or most any other
character that the shell (or specifically the c-shell in this case, I
would guess) treat as special, the csh uses `^' for history
substitution, try quoting the address.

--
Michael A. Thompson, Dept. Math, Stats, & C.S., Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S.
thompson@dalcs.uucp	From Bitnet or Uucp

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (03/31/88)

In article <2822@dalcs.UUCP>, thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael Thompson) writes:
> 	uux doesn't care about `^', `|', or `?', or most any other
> character that the shell (or specifically the c-shell in this case, I
> would guess) treat as special, the csh uses `^' for history
> substitution, try quoting the address.

Yes it does.  A snippet of source from 4.3bsd uux.c:

			if (cmdp != cmd)
				APPCMD(prm);
			continue;
		}