[comp.mail.uucp] HDB uucp security hole ?

dennis@hpirs.HP.COM (Dennis D. Lee) (04/07/88)

  On AT&T System V.2.1 uucp (HoneyDanBer) , the remote system's password is
  printed when using the -x option with a level higher than 3.

  This is a very serious security hole. Have anybody else noticed this
  problem and made a fix to it?

                                               Dennis D. Lee
				               Hewlett Packard
                                               hpda!hpirs!dennis

jhc@mtunx.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) (04/08/88)

In article <4210002@hpirs.HP.COM> dennis@hpirs.HP.COM (Dennis D. Lee) writes:
>  On AT&T System V.2.1 uucp (HoneyDanBer) , the remote system's password is
>  printed when using the -x option with a level higher than 3.

I won't swear that this is the case in the version you reference, but
at least in later versions such debugging information can be restricted
such that it is only printed out when the GID of the invoker passes
certain tests. Typically the code is built such that the information
is printed when 'root' is running uucico by hand, otherwise a string
of question marks is emitted. However, this is a compile-time option,
and whoever built the code can set it up any way s/he wants.
--
Jonathan Clark		jonathan.clark@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan
Any affiliation is given for identification purposes only.

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

psfales@iwfap.ATT.COM (fales) (04/08/88)

In article <4210002@hpirs.HP.COM>, dennis@hpirs.HP.COM (Dennis D. Lee) writes:

 >   On AT&T System V.2.1 uucp (HoneyDanBer) , the remote system's password is
 >   printed when using the -x option with a level higher than 3.
 >
 >   This is a very serious security hole. Have anybody else noticed this
 >   problem and made a fix to it?

This is not a bug, it's a feature!  The remote password is only printed
when you are running the uucico as root (and -x > 3).  This is an aid
to administrator's doing debugging, while not compromising security
for normal users.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

heiby@mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (04/08/88)

Dennis D. Lee (dennis@hpirs.HP.COM) writes:
>   On AT&T System V.2.1 uucp (HoneyDanBer) , the remote system's password is
>   printed when using the -x option with a level higher than 3.

On the systems I've seen with HoneyDanBer UUCP, there is information
compiled into uucico that specifies the range of uids or gids for
which the phone number and login information is displayed.  I'm
uid=501(heiby) gid=101(mot) on my system, and bunches of "?" are
displayed instead of sensitive information when I invoke uucico.
When I invoke uucico while logged in as "root", I get to see everything.
If your implementation does not do this, then it should be fixed
by your vendor.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"I believe in the Tooth Fairy."  "I believe in Santa Claus."

mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (04/09/88)

In article <116@iwfap.ATT.COM>, psfales@iwfap.ATT.COM (fales) writes:

> This is not a bug, it's a feature!  The remote password is only printed
> when you are running the uucico as root (and -x > 3).

Actually this is configureable at compile time.

One can configure the range of group IDs that will have passwords
made visible to them at high debug levels. The default is gid 0 to 10,
which is why root (gid 0) and uucp (gid 5) get to see them, and
normal users don't.
--
					Mikel Manitius
					mikel@codas.att.com

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (04/10/88)

in svr3, the "sendthem" strings are opaque unless the invoker has read
access to the Systems file.

	peter

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (04/11/88)

                ^_________ ucase from peter?  is this a first :-) ?
> 	peter

It appears that uucico uses the read availability of whichever
Systems file is used by the transfer: Systems or Systems.cico
(pointed to by Sysfiles).  On our machine, one file is readable
and the other is not, which drove me crazy with the seemingly
random visibility of the sendthem strings.  Peter has undoubtedly
caused a great many "Aha, so *that's* what is going on." out there.
Thanks, Peter.

--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.   "Yes, I'm jeff@unh's brother"
friedl@vsi.com  {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl  attmail!vsi!friedl