[comp.mail.uucp] Any auto-adaptive pathalias software out there?

charles@c3engr.UUCP (Charles Green) (04/25/88)

My apologies if this has been recently discussed, but a recent experience with
bounced mail prompts me to ask:  Is there any software around which can digest
the "Path: " header lines of news articles and produce supplemental input to
the "pathalias" program?

The experience prompting this request was the discovery that only site 'pixar'
advertises a contact for site 'penguin', but in real life pixar's 'uux' bounces
mail requests, apparently because 'penguin' isn't in his Systems (or L.sys)
file.  And, we don't even *have* a map entry for 'penguin'...

So, the only information I could use to re-try the mail transmission was to
find the original Usenet article, find out who 'penguin' sent the article to,
and enter that as a very-low bandwidth (half-dead?) link.

Please mail responses, as news is getting a little sporadic around here lately.

Thanks!				-charles@c3engr
--
Charles Green	charles@c3pe.UUCP, charles_green%c3gate@c3pe
"If you own a VenTel, never transmit these three characters: BYE{_xD

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (04/26/88)

IN article <2572@c3engr.UUCP>, charles@c3engr.UUCP (Charles Green) wrote:
> My apologies if this has been recently discussed, but a recent experience with
> bounced mail prompts me to ask:  Is there any software around which can digest
> the "Path: " header lines of news articles and produce supplemental input to
> the "pathalias" program?

Once again, the Path: line does *not* represent a MAIL path.  It represents
a NEWS path, which is a very different thing.  There are systems that do not
forward mail across news paths.

My vnews puts a line "News-path: " in the mail header, and rn can be told to do
so also.  I manually use this as a last result, if mail gets bounced, but
otherwise use the "From: " line.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (04/27/88)

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) wrote:
> Once again, the Path: line does *not* represent a MAIL path.  It represents
> a NEWS path, which is a very different thing.  There are systems that do not
> forward mail across news paths.

That's OK, there are plenty of systems that don't forward mail across
advertised mail paths either.  I find reliability of paths in this order,
roughly:

	personal knowledge			(most reliable)
	signature lines
	domain From: addresses in mail headers
	news paths
	From_ lines in mail headers
	advertised mail paths in map entries
	domain From: addresses in news headers
	uucp From: addresses in mail headers
	mixed From: addresses in mail headers	(least reliable)
--
John Gilmore  {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu        gnu@toad.com
/* No comment */

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (04/28/88)

John Gilmore says he finds the set of reliability guidelines:
 	personal knowledge			(most reliable)
 	signature lines
 	domain From: addresses in mail headers
 	news paths
 	From_ lines in mail headers
 	advertised mail paths in map entries
 	domain From: addresses in news headers
 	uucp From: addresses in mail headers
 	mixed From: addresses in mail headers	(least reliable)

I don't wanna start any "is/isn't" wars, but just to throw in a different
opinion.  When I was at Mirror (started out small, became a fairly goodsized
UUCP-only site), I found the best order to be
	personal knowledge
	domain From: lines
	comp.mail.maps data
signature lines were actually fairly low on my list; people just didn't
update them in the face of big changes.  Nowadays at BBN and UUNET I
only use personal knowledge to force a faster route to an MX-based
domain (e.g., foo.com takes longer because they only call their server
daily).

I still to get the highest ratio of quality-of-service to effort you
should run uuhosts, pathalias, and smail if you're UUCP-only, or
an MX-cognizant sendmail if you're not.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.