[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP protocol definition

mikep@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Pluta) (04/26/88)

Is it possible to obtain the protocol definition for UUCP?  If so, where?

--
Michael J Pluta (mikep@lakesys.UUCP) c/o   |
Tri-Sys Computer Corp., Inc.               |

sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) (04/27/88)

In article <612@lakesys.UUCP> mikep@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Pluta) writes:
>Is it possible to obtain the protocol definition for UUCP?  If so, where?
>--
>Michael J Pluta (mikep@lakesys.UUCP) c/o   |

Yes, Mike, the UUCP protocol definition is available to anyone.
As a matter of fact, it was (re)posted some time late last year to
one of the appropriate comp. groups.  If it is not still available
to you locally, contact me personally and I will send it off.
It is somewhat long so if I could compress&uuencode please let me know.
If _enough_ other people request it I might consider reposting it myself.

CLAIMER:  Well -- I wrote it!                      Eric Alan Neulight
                                                 Electrical Engineering
"INSANITY is just a state of mine."              Computer Science House
                                            Rochester Institute of Technology
    BITNET: EAN4762@RITVAX       UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!sic

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (04/30/88)

In article <1873@ritcsh.UUCP>, sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) writes...

]Yes, Mike, the UUCP protocol definition is available to anyone.
]As a matter of fact, it was (re)posted some time late last year to
]one of the appropriate comp. groups.  If it is not still available
]to you locally, contact me personally and I will send it off.
]It is somewhat long so if I could compress&uuencode please let me know.
]If _enough_ other people request it I might consider reposting it myself.

I must have missed it if it was posted recently.  I would dearly love a
copy.

==Jess Anderson======(home:)========INTERNET: anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu====
| 1210 W. Dayton     2838 Stevens   UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,allegra,ucbvax} |
| Madison, WI 53706  Madison 53705   !uwvax!vms3.macc.wisc.edu!anderson    |
==608/263-6988=======608/238-4833===BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc===============

std-unix-request@uunet.uu.net (05/03/88)

The specs for the UUCP g protocol were posted to comp.std.unix in
Volume 9, Number 55 on 11 Febuary 1987.  I found it in comp.mail.uucp,
where it had been posted by John Gilmore.  It is troff source for a
paper entitled ``Packet Driver Protocol'' by Greg Chesson.  He wrote it
while he was at Bell Laboratories (he's now at Silicon Graphics).  I
confirmed with him that it was approved by AT&T for release, and also
that a parameter setting problem in the original paper was fixed.

If you have a connection to the uunet machine, you can uucp it as
	comp.std.unix/packet.proto
If you are on the ARPA Internet (ARPANET, MILNET, NSFnet, etc.),
you can get it by anonymous ftp (login anonymous, password guest).
If there is enough interest, I will repost it.

John S. Quarterman, moderator, comp.std.unix, std-unix-request@uunet.uu.net.