[comp.mail.uucp] L.sys and L-devices info wanted

larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) (05/16/88)

I would like the most detailed info possible on the library files for uucp.
Chiefly, L.sys and L-devices.  I have the nutshell manuals.  I would like
more details than they provide.

--
					Larry Autry
larry@sgistl.sgi.com

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (05/17/88)

In article <5625@sgistl.SGI.COM> larry@sgistl.SGI.COM (Larry Autry) writes:
>I would like the most detailed info possible on the library files for uucp.
>Chiefly, L.sys and L-devices.  I have the nutshell manuals.  I would like
>more details than they provide.

What version? You'll have to be a good deal more specific; there are at least
ten common UUCP versions out there that use L-devices and L.sys, and they are
all at least a little bit different, some a lotta bit different. If you want
generalities, the Nutshell book is excellent. If you want concrete specifics,
you'll need to harass the software vendor (AT&T?) or study the source.

Note that the latest edition of _Managing_UUCP_&_Usenet_ gives a lot more de-
tail about different versions that did previous editions. (It's the one with
the bear on the cover, "sixth printing.")

<csg>

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (05/18/88)

In article <5625@sgistl.SGI.COM> larry@sgistl.UUCP writes:
>I would like the most detailed info possible on the library files for uucp.
>Chiefly, L.sys and L-devices.  I have the nutshell manuals.  I would like
>more details than they provide.

I would recommend looking into the directory UUAIDS that comes with
4.3BSD uucp. In it are very useful files that describe the L.sys
entries (I beleive written by many folks eg Tom Truscott, Rick Adams
and others). The best way I learned was to examine sample L.* files
from friendly neighbhour sites. The 4.3 documentation has improved
quite a bit - do read those over. I think it is SMM:9.

--
sharan kalwani, vax facility, mcf, 110 east warren avenue, detroit mi 48201
usenet  : ...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu, ihnp4!mibte}!mcf!shan