[comp.mail.uucp] compressed maps

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (05/23/88)

I've just installed uuhosts here (finally!) and would like to use the
feature that keeps the maps compressed. Only problem is I can't figure
out a sensible way to make this work with pathalias. Is there anything
can be done short of uncompressing the maps, running pathalias, then
compressing the maps again?

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (06/01/88)

In article <478@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>I've just installed uuhosts here (finally!) and would like to use the
>feature that keeps the maps compressed. Only problem is I can't figure
>out a sensible way to make this work with pathalias. Is there anything
>can be done short of uncompressing the maps, running pathalias, then
>compressing the maps again?

Just zcat the files and pipe to pathalias, here is my shell script:

------------
newpathalias
------------
#!/bin/csh
cd /system/maps/comp.mail.maps
zcat path.local d.* u.* | pathalias -d seismo $* >/tmp/pathalias
cd /usr/local/lib
if -f pathalias then
	mv pathalias pathalias.old
endif
sort /tmp/pathalias >pathalias
chmod a+r pathalias
rm /tmp/pathalias
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (06/05/88)

i get my pathalias input from this script:

for i in $*; do
	case $i in
	*.Z)	echo "file {`expr $i : '\(.*\).Z'`}
		zcat $i ;;
	*)	echo "file {$i}"
		cat $i ;;
	esac
	echo "private {}"
done | pathalias ...

the "file {}" syntax is new; if you aren't ftp-ing pathalias regularly,
you'll get a syntax error.

	peter

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (06/05/88)

In article <4117@umix.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>[...]
>the "file {}" syntax is new; if you aren't ftp-ing pathalias regularly,
                                            ^^^
>you'll get a syntax error.

From where?

Jeff Siegal

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (06/08/88)

the most recent version of pathalias can be obtained via anonymous ftp
from citi.umich.edu, in pub/honey/pathalias.Z.

	peter

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (06/09/88)

i'll mail it to anyone who asks for it.

	peter

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (06/09/88)

chip@vector.UUCP writes:
   >the most recent version of pathalias can be obtained via anonymous ftp
   >from citi.umich.edu, in pub/honey/pathalias.Z.
   Do any of the public access and/or anon uucp transfer sites out there
   have the L&G pathalias available?

It will be available from osu-cis if I can ever reach citi.umich.edu
to ftp it here.  I can reach *.cc.umich.edu as well as
venice.citi.umich.edu, but citi itself appears to be down.  Maybe
this afternoon or tomorrow...

--Karl

chip@vector.UUCP writes:
   >the most recent version of pathalias can be obtained via anonymous ftp
   >from citi.umich.edu, in pub/honey/pathalias.Z.
   Do any of the public access and/or anon uucp transfer sites out there
   have the L&G pathalias available?

I couldn't see citi.umich.edu for a couple of days from here, but
abruptly it seems I can.  The usual anonymous UUCP instructions for
osu-cis apply; request the file /u/public/pathalias/honey/pathalias.Z.

--Karl