[comp.mail.uucp] How do I get my *Y$**

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (06/10/88)

In article <4886@dasys1.UUCP>, wlinden@dasys1.UUCP (William Linden) writes:
> I tried to respond to a letter from u63.bath.ac.uk. The system mailer
> routed it from dasys1 through... princeton!alice!i2unix... and alice
> bounced it. The second time I tried using the explicit path hoptoad!
> amdahl!uunet!mcvax!..., but the "smart" mailer sent it on the same
> path through princeton!alice... and it bounced again. How do I get the

I've haven't checked the maps,  but I can speculate on the cause of the
problem.  If you look at the u.ita.1 map you'll notice that i2unix lists
all there nodes on their LAN in the map entry.  The reason I noticed was
that there was a confliction with a node in Michigan and a node on their
LAN having the same name.  It's proably a safe bet that they have an alice
on their LAN.

pathalias assumes that both alice's are one and the same, which explains
the bounced mail.

bob

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (06/10/88)

In article <4886@dasys1.UUCP> wlinden@dasys1.UUCP (William Linden) writes:
|I tried to respond to a letter from u63.bath.ac.uk. The system mailer
|routed it from dasys1 through... princeton!alice!i2unix... and alice
|bounced it. The second time I tried using the explicit path hoptoad!
|amdahl!uunet!mcvax!..., but the "smart" mailer sent it on the same
|path through princeton!alice... and it bounced again. How do I get the
|mailer to let me send the message where it is going?

You really should set the mailer not to always reroute.  How you do that
is dependent on the mailer.  If it's smail, you have to edit a header
file and re-compile it.  I don't know about any others.

--
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner     Bitnet: wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                   Internet: wcf @ hcx.psu.edu

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (06/12/88)

In article <136@psuhcx.psu.edu>, wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
> In article <4886@dasys1.UUCP> wlinden@dasys1.UUCP (William Linden) writes:
> |I tried to respond to a letter from u63.bath.ac.uk. The system mailer
> |routed it from dasys1 through... princeton!alice!i2unix... and alice
> |bounced it. The second time I tried using the explicit path hoptoad!
> |amdahl!uunet!mcvax!..., but the "smart" mailer sent it on the same
> |path through princeton!alice... and it bounced again. How do I get the
> |mailer to let me send the message where it is going?
>
> You really should set the mailer not to always reroute.  How you do that
> is dependent on the mailer.  If it's smail, you have to edit a header
> file and re-compile it.  I don't know about any others.

Like William, I have had problems with "smart" mailers.  Also, like William, I
am one of the users in a multi-user environment.  If I wished, I could follow
Bill's suggestion and produce my mailer (maybe); I do have access to the source
files, and it is possible that I might be able to do this in such a way that
the uses of system files will still work.  There is no way that I could make
my own copy if that will not work, for numerous reasons.

However, I am not a systems person, and it is questionable that I, and the
thousands of others in the position of William and myself, should have to go
to the time and effort to find out how to do this and carry it out.  Besides,
at the next revision of the mailer it would probably be necessary to do it
all over.  And many do not have access to the appropriate files, or the system
will not permit them to set up their own mailers.

The mail system itself should initiate the search for alternate paths for
bounced mail.  When an intermediate site does not recognize the existence
of the path, or cannot complete it, the mailer should rewrite instead of
just bouncing the message.  If the message bounces due to an intermediate
site not in the explicit path bypassing an explicit site, this should be
automatic.  There are times when the mailer can find a better path, but if
its "better" path does not work, it should follow the poster's instructions.

> --
>    __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner     Bitnet: wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
>   /  )    // //       /  '                   Internet: wcf @ hcx.psu.edu
>  /--<  o // //     ,-/-, _  __  __  _  __    UUCP: ihnp4!psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf

Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (ARPA or UUCP) or hrubin@purccvm.bitnet