From MAILER-DAEMON Thu Jun 16 11:32:04 1988
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 88 11:32:00 EDT
From: MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: Postmaster

bad system name: boulder
uux failed. code 68
550 boulder!colo!mcdonald... Host unknown

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 16:31:52 MDT
From: kodak!rochester!ames!cgdra.UCAR.EDU!dave (Dave Darr)
To: mcdonald@cygnus%colo
Subject: hey ho

--
Charlie Dennett - Eastman Kodak Company
UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!kodak!dennett

bill@sigma.UUCP (Bill Swan) (06/18/88)

In article <1293@kodak.UUCP> dennett@kodak.UUCP (Charlie Dennett) writes:
>Below is a bounced mail message that tried to go through a machine (cygnus)
>that I administer here at Eastman Kodak.  I'm not 100% sure how to read all
>the path and addressing information, but it seems to me that some machine
>along the way thinks there is another machine called cygnus. [...]

It is possible for a machine to not have a map entry and still show up in
routing info. I ran into this when I was going to name my home system
"cygnus" (a natural for someone named "Swan"), but discovered that there
was another machine by that name already connected.

All that is necessary is for somebody to show a link to that machine in
their map file. In this case "uuhosts" showed no entry for a machine named
"cygnus", but "uupath" gave a path to it!

Although registering and entry in the maps should show conflicts, if a new
machine comes on the net and fails to register, it's left to their neighbours
to find out if there's a conflict.

I've run into this recently with "telesis", a neighbour here, but also the
name of a machine elsewhere. Apparently some uucp-files have been misrouted
to our site awaiting delivery to the nearby telesis (which is now dead).

(I have updated our map entry, and if the neighbouring telesis ever comes
up again I will inform him of the name conflict.)

--Bill Swan

--
.signature