[comp.mail.uucp] Send vs receive times

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/12/88)

If this is the wrong group, excuse, I don't get comp.unix.* and this
seemed like a better place.

I have noticed that my systems send much faster than they receive,
i.e. 210 bytes/sec sending, 176 bytes/sec receiving from the other
site.  Anyone else notice this?  Any thoughts?
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

stevo@judy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) (06/16/88)

In article <92@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>I have noticed that my systems send much faster than they receive,
>i.e. 210 bytes/sec sending, 176 bytes/sec receiving from the other
>site.  Anyone else notice this?  Any thoughts?

Simple.  Reads on existing files are almost always faster than writes
to new files.  The reason is that on the reads, you don't have the
additional file system overhead of allocating disk blocks to write to.

This is also why file system dumps can be made to go so much faster than
restores.  On dumps, you're just reading the data.  On restores, you've
doing a lot of allocating of disk blocks to do too.

-steve
/* Steve Groom, MS 168-522, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
 * Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
 * Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"
 */

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (06/16/88)

In article <7040@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> stevo@jane.jpl.nasa.gov (Steve Groom) writes:
|In article <92@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
|>I have noticed that my systems send much faster than they receive,
|>i.e. 210 bytes/sec sending, 176 bytes/sec receiving from the other
|>site.  Anyone else notice this?  Any thoughts?
|
|Simple.  Reads on existing files are almost always faster than writes
|to new files.  The reason is that on the reads, you don't have the
|additional file system overhead of allocating disk blocks to write to.
|
|This is also why file system dumps can be made to go so much faster than
|restores.  On dumps, you're just reading the data.  On restores, you've
|doing a lot of allocating of disk blocks to do too.

Relative I/O speeds not withstanding, the reason for the difference is
the way in which uucp generates the SYSLOG data.  For received data, it's
from the start of the transmission until the CY is sent out.  For sent
data, it's from the start of the transmission until the last block is sent,
not when the CY is received.  This disparity becomes even more obvious
when a buffering modem, such as the Trailblazer, is used.

Now that I've stated that, I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong!
--
*   *   O     Larry Blair
  *   *   O   VICOM Systems Inc.     sun!pyramid----\

In article <7040@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, stevo@judy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) writes:
> In article <92@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>> I have noticed that my systems send much faster than they receive,
>> i.e. 210 bytes/sec sending, 176 bytes/sec receiving from the other
>> site.  Anyone else notice this?  Any thoughts?

> Simple.  Reads on existing files are almost always faster than writes
> to new files.  The reason is that on the reads, you don't have the
> additional file system overhead of allocating disk blocks to write
> to.

Any system on which disk block allocation is a bottleneck at a data
rate of two hundred bytes a second is in sad shape indeed.

More likely, I think, is another effect.  Our system, for example, can
blast characters out at the rate of thousands a second all day, yet on
input if you try to feed it more than one or two hundred characters a
second average, it chokes, regardless of what baud rate they're sent
at.  The cpu simply can't keep up with servicing all the interrupts and
shuffling all the clist structures.  (Raw mode helps, but only some.)

And as someone else pointed out, the way the timing is done skews the
estimates, as do modems like trailblazers which buffer stuff....

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu