[comp.mail.uucp] A perfect Usenet site - help needed.

alexb@m2-net.UUCP (Alex Beylin) (06/28/88)

Greetings, Citizens of the Net!

This is a plea for help, but also an opportunity for all of you to
help in something which most of you know well and take pride in knowing.

But let me start from the begining:
Over the last 3 years I have been hopelesly addicted to Usenet and the world
of information it allows one to reach.  Less then a month ago I accepted
a new position with a major US Corporation.  Our company has bought
just  many 3B2/600 minicomputers.  One of those can be mine to setup a
Usenet access node for the whole company.  Sound great, right?

My first thought was:  I will do it right!  With lots of disk available
and quite a bit of pure processing power, I should be able to make a
very functional system.

Wrong.  Being able to read news, post articles and write letters over
the net does not mean knowing how to run the machine that does it all.
Of cause, over the last years I have picked-up quite a few buzz-words, like
"mailers", "pathalias", "pathalias database", "feed", etc. and even know
what most of them mean, but I have discovered that I do not have a picture
in my head of how it all fits together.  Nor do I have an idea of what all
the software that I will have to get and to get working, etc.

Before you all say "Forget it, you can't do it!", let me say a few
things in my defence - I do know Unix (though I am not a Guru or a Wizard)
I have setup uucp connections that work, I know shell programming and C.
In addition, I am willing to learn late into the night!  If that is not
enough  - how did all of you News and UUCP Wizards get started?

So here is the question:  what do I have to have/do/get/learn to get
a Usenet site going.  I have quite a few options for a feed, so I am
not worried in that respect.  Otherwise, I am at your feet.  If the
majority tells me to forget it, I might just do that, but nop promises
in that respect.

Thank you in advance,

-- Alex
....!umix!metavax!b-tech!m-net!alexb

geoff@FERNWOOD.MPK.CA.US (Geoff Goodfellow) (06/29/88)

Order up a copy of the Nutshell handbook:
  Managing UUCP and Usenet

from
  O'Reilly & Associates
  981 Chestnut Street
  Newton, MA  02164
  1-800-338-NUTS
  1-617-527-1392  (in MA).

childers@vixie.UUCP (Richard A. Childers) (06/30/88)

In article <1874@m2-net.UUCP> alexb@m-net.UUCP (Alex Beylin) writes:
>So here is the question:  what do I have to have/do/get/learn to get
>a Usenet site going.  I have quite a few options for a feed ...

Two options.

	1) Get the standard distribution of rnews, say, 2.11.
		- unpack it and unpack the news.tar image
		- cd into the resulting 'doc' directory
		- modify the Makefile as needed
		- generate each document as needed

	2) Get a manual from someone who's bothered to attempt to
		externalize their experience(s). Reilly & Associates
		seem to have done a nice job with their set on UUCP
		and Netnews, Volume 1 on Using, Volume 2 on Abusing,
		ah, I mean Administrating. They are slightly expensive,
		you'd be best off ordering them directly.

			Reilly & Associates
			981 Chestnut Street
			Newton, MA 02164
			1-800-338-NUTS, or
			617-527-4210 in Mass.
			( VISA, MC, et caet. )

No, I have no relationship whatsoever with this group of people at all
except as a satisfied reader.

-- richard

--
        "The leach's kiss, the squid's embrace,     {crash,hoptoad,
           The prurient ape's defiling touch:         ptsfa,uunet}!