[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP Grades

darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (07/12/88)

I could have sworn I've seen this discussed here before but I can't find
it in any of the old articles I've saved or in any of the uucp docs I
have.

We run HDB uucp on our system.  I would like to make use of the "grade"
feature to restrict uucp traffic during certain portions of the day.
For example, I might have smail set the grade of the rmail job to "h"
(via uux) thus causing it get transmitted in front of other jobs with
lower priority.  I want to restrict uucp jobs to anything of "h" or
higher priority during prime time thus reducing traffic and possibly
saving money on phone calls.

It seems like I've seen something about specifying the grade in the
Systems file.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

--
Darrell McIntosh
Gould CSD, Urbana Software Development Center

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (07/14/88)

In article <26400004@urbsdc> darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
[ ... ]
>We run HDB uucp on our system.  I would like to make use of the "grade"
>feature to restrict uucp traffic during certain portions of the day.

If anyone knows how to do this, we'd like to know too.  The older version
2 uucp (BSD, etc.) would, indeed, grade a transfer.  My news feed would
grade news as D and mail as A so that when his site placed the LD call,
only the mail would go while the news would wait for my site to call for
it.  Time and time again I tried the same thing with HDB and all I managed
to do was get the mail sent first in the same uucico session and the lower
grades sent later in the same session.

>It seems like I've seen something about specifying the grade in the
>Systems file.  Does anyone know how to do this?

If someone knows, please post it so we'll all know.  Peter?  Do you read
this group?

REASON: I dount that I'm alone in wanting to know a way to do this.

--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (07/15/88)

In article <26400004@urbsdc>, darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

> It seems like I've seen something about specifying the grade in the
> Systems file.  Does anyone know how to do this?
> --
> Darrell McIntosh

     Hello,

 I would also like to get my hands on that information if it is avalible,
as it would allow me to spool news but not transmit it on my dime to the
leaf nodes, but I would then call and drop off any mail that I had for them.

UUCP/SMTP : howardl@wb3ffv		|	Howard D. Leadmon
PACKET    : WB3FFV @ W3ITM		|	Fast Computer Service, Inc.
IP Address: 44.60.0.1			|	P.O. Box  171
Telephone : (301)-335-2206		|	Chase, MD  21027-0171

jeff@hammer.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (07/16/88)

In article <26400004@urbsdc> darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
[ ... ]
>We run HDB uucp on our system.  I would like to make use of the "grade"
>feature to restrict uucp traffic during certain portions of the day.
>It seems like I've seen something about specifying the grade in the
>Systems file.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Ok,  Here's how, with a sample entry:

In the time field, you may suffix it with a '/X' where 'X' is the grade.
It will send anything at grade 'X' or lower at that time.  For example:

mysystem Any/C,Evening/a,Night DIR ttyb0 "" ogin:.... and so on.

This would allow 'mysystem' to do the following:

Send grade C (or lower) any time.
Send grade a (or lower) in the evening.
Send anything at night.

Hope this helps.

		-Jeff Beadles

| Jeff Beadles    IDG Customer Support Center Tektronix, Inc.                 |
| jeff@tekcsc.MKT.TEK.COM -or-                POB 1000                        |
| ...!tektronix!tekcsc.MKT.TEK.COM!jeff       Wilsonville, OR. 97070 MS 63-171|

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (07/16/88)

honey danber does grades.

foo Any/z ACU ...
foo Any2300-0700SaSu/Z ACU ...

or some such.  the svr3 version of honey danber doesn't quite
get grades right: if anything at all is spooled, it places the
call.  (however, it sends only stuff that meets the grade
criterion.)  i sent a fix to my friends at summit, but i don't
know if it made it out the door.

please don't ask me for the source or diffs.  no can do.

	peter

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (07/17/88)

In article <3260@hammer.TEK.COM> jeff@hammer.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) writes:
|In article <26400004@urbsdc> darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
|[ ... ]
|>We run HDB uucp on our system.  I would like to make use of the "grade"
|
|Ok,  Here's how, with a sample entry:
|
|In the time field, you may suffix it with a '/X' where 'X' is the grade.
|It will send anything at grade 'X' or lower at that time.  For example:

This looks Sys III/VII/BSD, will it work on HoneyDanBer?  I suppose I should
check first but since I'm fairly sure it won't, I figured I'd post and
keep someone else from being surprised.  If it works, I'll holler (cheer).
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill