[comp.mail.uucp] an example of why I don't believe in automatic routing

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (08/03/88)

This evening, after weeks of behaving itself, decwrl's pathalias database
told me that the best route to mcvax from here is

sun!daver!altnet!altmail!altger!unido!mcvax!%s

This is completely preposterous. If my MTA started routing mail along paths
like this I would newfs it and start using the telephone. I'm sure that if I
take the trouble to go look (I probably won't) I'll find that according to
the current pathalias data this really *is* the best path from decwrl to
mcvax. It's just that pathalias and I have different ideas of what
constitutes "best". Remember, folks, pathalias believes exactly what you tell
it.

Until problems like this stop happening, MTA's should not do routing.

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (08/04/88)

In article <676@bacchus.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
=
=This evening, after weeks of behaving itself, decwrl's pathalias database
=told me that the best route to mcvax from here is
=
=sun!daver!altnet!altmail!altger!unido!mcvax!%s

Since we talk to sun, daver, and altnet, let's run "address xxx@mcvax":

xxx@mcvax: altnet!uunet!mcvax!xxx

This is why I always hand run pathalias.  A few days usually don't matter
and I can be sure that my database is complete.

Another thought occurs to me:  Do you have "-d uunet" in your pathalias
command?

=This is completely preposterous. If my MTA started routing mail along paths
=like this I would newfs it and start using the telephone. I'm sure that if I
=take the trouble to go look (I probably won't) I'll find that according to
=the current pathalias data this really *is* the best path from decwrl to
=mcvax. It's just that pathalias and I have different ideas of what
=constitutes "best". Remember, folks, pathalias believes exactly what you tell
=it.
=
=Until problems like this stop happening, MTA's should not do routing.

There is nothing wrong with letting the MTA route for you if the first hop
is a non-connect.  Your mail WILL get to mcvax, unless (pet peeve!) it goes
through some Bozo site, like rutgers, that thinks that the maps are gospel
and refuses to let you do your own routing.  As long as the MTA allows
specific routing, it is far better to concentrate route generation in the
one facility.

Btw, our bounce rate for "reasonable" paths has gone to zero since I added
"-d rutgers" to our pathalias run.
--
*   *   O      Larry Blair          ames-----\
  *   *   O    VICOM Systems Inc.   pyramid---\

kehres@tis.llnl.gov (Tim Kehres) (08/04/88)

In article <676@bacchus.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:

> This evening, after weeks of behaving itself, decwrl's pathalias database
> told me that the best route to mcvax from here is
>
> sun!daver!altnet!altmail!altger!unido!mcvax!%s
>
> This is completely preposterous. If my MTA started routing mail along paths
> like this I would newfs it and start using the telephone. I'm sure that if I
> take the trouble to go look (I probably won't) I'll find that according to
> the current pathalias data this really *is* the best path from decwrl to
> mcvax. It's just that pathalias and I have different ideas of what
> constitutes "best". Remember, folks, pathalias believes exactly what you tell
> it.
>
> Until problems like this stop happening, MTA's should not do routing.

Yes, this is a preposterous route, especially considering you are an internet
site.  It is also highly likely that pathalias thinks that this is a "best"
route from your site to mcvax.  It is also quite true that you can get to
mcvax in just a few hops from where you are.  If you were to look into what
pathalias generates, I am sure that you could come up with countless other
examples of how the routing could be done in a more efficient and cost
effective way.

This is not however a valid reason for not letting MTA'a handle routing,
whenever an explicit route is not specified.  Some of the reasons most modern
mail systems are evolving to domain based addressing are:

	o  Optimal source routing can be dynamic and the originator/recipient
	   cannot always determine best routing.

	o  Most users are only concerned about getting their mail through,
	   not how it gets there.  When is the last time you specified the
	   route the postal service should use to get a letter delivered?
	   How many of your users can tell you the best route to mcvax
	   without looking through past mail messages or uucp tables?

	o  The use of a common set of domains makes the use and implementation
	   of gateways between different electronic mail systems easier.  This
	   is one of the reasons for the establishment of standard domain
	   names.

These are probably not the only reasons, but enough to make the point.
There is sometimes a tradeoff between best routing and making the use of
electronic mail possible for a wider range of users.  Although pathalias
(or the data that gets fed into pathalias) certainly can be improved, it
does help (most of the time) in generating good paths, and provides some
isolation to a wide range of users to routing decisions.

Tim Kehres
Control Data Corporation / Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
MILNET: kehres@tis.llnl.gov
AT&T:   (415) 463-6852

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (08/04/88)

According to lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair):
>Btw, our bounce rate for "reasonable" paths has gone to zero since I added
>"-d rutgers" to our pathalias run.

Amen!  Both rutgers and harvard are marked as "dead" in my local adjustments
file, which is automatically included by my pathalias wrapper script.

I personally think that rutgers should be dropped from the net unless the
arrogant "you can't possibly know more about routing than me" attitude
is replaced by something more cooperative.  Unfortunately, too many sites
depend on rutgers for this to happen.

If you agree, send mail to Mel Pleasant <pleasant@rutgers.EDU> and complain.
If Mel gets enough flames, he just might reconsider.
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

brisco@pilot.njin.net (Thomas Paul Brisco) (08/05/88)

In article <881@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:

> There is nothing wrong with letting the MTA route for you if the first hop
> is a non-connect.  Your mail WILL get to mcvax, unless (pet peeve!) it goes
> through some Bozo site, like rutgers, that thinks that the maps are gospel
> and refuses to let you do your own routing.  As long as the MTA allows
> specific routing, it is far better to concentrate route generation in the
> one facility.
>
> Btw, our bounce rate for "reasonable" paths has gone to zero since I added
> "-d rutgers" to our pathalias run.
> --
> *   *   O      Larry Blair

	In fact, there is nothing wrong will letting your MTA do all
the routing for you.  I've had very few sites bouncing back to me,
and I _usually_ route through rutgers.  I do get a few bounced now
and then -- but I attribute that to brain-dead administrators who
can't be bothered to keep their maps up to date.
	You can hardly blame rutgers for letting pathalias do *all*
of the routing -- the maps are supposed to mirror the actual
connectivity available (but are also used to add "administrative"
weights at some sites).  I've had one site directly off of rutgers
for about a year now (a machine at home), and currently have a second
one with a lot of other sites in addition.  I really don't want to
spend my time figuring out what is the quickest path between sites
X and Y, I really think my attention is best put in other places.

	What I *do* have a problem with is the turn-around time for a
map to get published, but since I really can't think of a better
method for distributing the maps I'm not going to complain too loudly
- and the turn-around time isnt *that* bad.

	What I *really* get ticked with is the administrators who
can't be bothered with keeping their maps up to date.  Simply because
Rutgers chooses to follow the maps _as published_ is hardly a reason
to flame on them. *THAT IS WHAT THE MAPS ARE THERE FOR*.  I've
seen sites that were dead for about a year without the silly-a**ed
administrator bothering to remove the map, *nor remove the entry
from his/her other hosts maps*. Even after flaming at them periodically
for months, they still could not find time to delete a couple
of lines from their existing map entries.

	You would do better to spend time flaming the sites that
cannot spend the 15 to 30 seconds that it takes to update the
maps as necessary - NOT to flame the sites that implement the
maps as intended.

					Tp.
					"In this perfect world ..."

                  UUCP:          ...!rutgers!brisco
			          ...!njin!brisco
                  ARPA:        brisco@pilot.njin.net
                  BITNET:      brisco@zodiac.bitnet
                  Voice:           (201) 932-2351
       Ask me about the New Jersey Intercampus Network Pilot Project

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/05/88)

In article <340@ateng.UUCP> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair):
>>Btw, our bounce rate for "reasonable" paths has gone to zero since I added
>>"-d rutgers" to our pathalias run.
>
>Amen!  Both rutgers and harvard are marked as "dead" in my local adjustments
>file, which is automatically included by my pathalias wrapper script.

I don't often disagree with Chip but he's solved the problem with his local
adjustments, as he reports.

>I personally think that rutgers should be dropped from the net unless the
>arrogant "you can't possibly know more about routing than me" attitude
>is replaced by something more cooperative.  Unfortunately, too many sites
>depend on rutgers for this to happen.

Here I whole heartedly disagree.  Any site is, of course, free to route
around rutgers and I used to contribute a few db/btu's to this topic, but
"removing" rutgers isn't the answer at all.

1) By _definition_ rutgers is the official map custodian
2) Any site is free to fold, spindle, or mutilate mail or news
3) Rutgers is trying to improve the situation and improvement attempts are
   easy to mistake for malice.

The best way to encourage sites to keep their maps up to date is to have
other sites use them.  That's precisely what rutgers does.  When I see
mail jostled all over the country because of a screw up in ssbn's map, a
new map is sent in promptly.  Such wierdness is normally a result of rutgers'
literal interpretation of ssbn's map, ssbn is mistaken, rutgers is not.

If you want to suggest that the maps are wrong, you are mistaken.  The map
that's posted is, by definition, the way that site wants to look to the
rest of the net.  That's why many sites have their posted map and another
that they use for themselves to generate their own paths.

>If you agree, send mail to Mel Pleasant <pleasant@rutgers.EDU> and complain.
>If Mel gets enough flames, he just might reconsider.
>--
>Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
>A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.
>        You make me wanna break the laws of time and space
>                    You make me wanna eat pork

That's doubtful too Chip, he's got some pretty flame retardant garb and
I'm pretty sure that flames on this topic will get to /dev/null more
directly than they got to rutgers :-)  If their behaviour is objectionable
you can do as you have done, route around them.  I think that the ultimate
solution is for the posted maps to reflect how each site really wants mail
to move.  If that was the case we would not be having this discussion.

Let me briefly describe a scenario in support of this.  There are ssbn
neighbors who log in from time to time, directly, to collect some bulky
item that shouldn't be mailed.  They appear in ssbn's map in order to
report that such a connection exists, not to advertise it as a good path.
It has a very high cost on it to discourage pathalias but it exists in
case a router can't find any better path to get it there.  In those few
cases ssbn will gladly forward the mail but it is not the "preferred" route.
If mail for that site came from rutgers (ssbn is a rutgers neighbor) I am
*certain* that there was no better way, so off it goes.

When we see some beax eaux routing done by rutgers you can be sure that it's
the result of some beaux eaux map, not malicious intent by rutgers.  Roasting
Mel won't cut it, we have to use peer pressure to make people get it right
before they send it in.  Gosh!  Look at the agony AT&T is in with their new
(monster?) approach.  They can't get their own SA's to get in step and it's
causing near cardiac size problems within att.

Finally (mercifully), when I don't know what else to do with a piece of
mail I toss it at rutgers.  If it bounces from them I can be sure that
it just can't be delivered within the net as posted.  I think that's a
good use of rutgers even if you don't like what they do as a matter of
routine.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (08/06/88)

>Amen!  Both rutgers and harvard are marked as "dead" in my local adjustments
>file, which is automatically included by my pathalias wrapper script.

I can echo the sentiment on harvard.  Much of what I sent anywhere near
them gets thrown to husc6 for some unknown reason, and as far as I can
tell husc6's mailer doesn't even look at the address, it just bounces
*everything*.  Not to mention the incoming mail that I've seen with
...!harvard!yale!harvard in it's path
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)