[comp.mail.uucp] why you should say "-d rutgers -d sun" in your pathalias command line

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (08/05/88)

				R U T G E R S

brisco@pilot.njin.net (Thomas Paul Brisco) writes:
# 	In fact, there is nothing wrong will letting your MTA do all
# the routing for you.  I've had very few sites bouncing back to me,
# and I _usually_ route through rutgers.

This depends on what you mean by "all your routing".

Rutgers does it WRONG.  BIG TIME EL WRONGO.  Always has, always will.

If I send to <...!rutgers!foo!bar!person>, and rutgers looks in its map
database and says "oh, site <<<bar>>> can be reached through ...!baz!bar!user",
IT HAS JUST DONE THE WRONG THING.

<baz!bar!user> is never nec'ily the same person as <foo!bar!user>.  <<<bar>>>
can be contextual: <baz!bar> and <foo!bar> aren't nec'ily the same machine.

This is not "routing", it's <<<rerouting>>> and it's EVIL and RUDE.

Now, if I send mail to <rutgers!bar!user>, then rutgers is free to send to
whatever entity it calls "bar", whether a direct UUCP neighbor or an indirect
neighbor reachable only through a routing database.  This is "routing" and
it's very convenient.  Many sites do this.  Smail does this (by default,
unless misconfigured with a stupid option that shouldn't be in there).

Rule of thumb:
	Don't look for a route in your UUCP map database / pathalias database
	unless you are about to throw the message away out of unreachability
	of the "next host" in the source route.

				   S U N

Sun thinks it owns the world.  I send mail from my home machine (vixie.uucp)
with a From: line like this:

	From: vixie!paul

or like this:

	From: paul@vixie.UUCP (this is ugly and bad)

If this message passes through pacbell, or decwrl, or ubvax, or uunet, or
half a dozen other major sites within one or two hops of vixie.UUCP, the
message is forwarded on with a From: line that looks like this:

	From: vixie!paul

Note that it's the same as I left it.  Note that the From_ line (sometimes
called the UUCP From_ line) is growing and probably looks like:

	From pacbell!vixie!paul <date>

Which is okay.  But if this message goes through Sun.COM, it will be forwarded
on with a From: line like this:

	From: vixie!paul@Sun.COM

This is EVIL and RUDE.  Sun doesn't talk to vixie.UUCP; replies to the
message are broken, Sun.COM bounces things that come to it looking like:

	To: vixie!paul@Sun.COM

The mistake?  Sun is rewriting HEADER sender addresses; it's only supposed
to rewrite ENVELOPE sender addresses unless the message is passing into the
internal network (inside Sun).

						Paul
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (08/05/88)

I won't repeat what Paul Vixie said (substantially, I agree) but I'd like
to know how a message through sun gets a ^M appended to every line.  I
get some from a site, not through sun, no ^M, send the same note through
sun, ^M every time.

Paul says it's OK to open the envelope to change the path information,
fair enough.  How come they have to scribble on the contents of the rest
of the message?
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,rutgers,sun!daver,uunet!bigtex}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/05/88)

hmmm ... the Rutgers way of doing things wrong and the Sun way of doing
things wrong.  Maybe there's a connection here because Rutgers has a
lot of Sun equipment as I understand it ... ?  Nevermind ...

In article <3674@palo-alto.DEC.COM> vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) writes:

>				R U T G E R S
>
>brisco@pilot.njin.net (Thomas Paul Brisco) writes:
># 	In fact, there is nothing wrong will letting your MTA do all
># the routing for you.  I've had very few sites bouncing back to me,
># and I _usually_ route through rutgers.
>
>This depends on what you mean by "all your routing".
>
>Rutgers does it WRONG.  BIG TIME EL WRONGO.  Always has, always will.
>
>If I send to <...!rutgers!foo!bar!person>, and rutgers looks in its map
>database and says "oh, site <<<bar>>> can be reached through ...!baz!bar!user",
>IT HAS JUST DONE THE WRONG THING.
>
><baz!bar!user> is never nec'ily the same person as <foo!bar!user>.  <<<bar>>>
>can be contextual: <baz!bar> and <foo!bar> aren't nec'ily the same machine.

how very true.  It isn't done here, I don't know if rutgers does it
or not.  But you are right, it is the "wrong" thing to do.  On the other
hand I don't think you're taking it the way brisco@pilot.njin.net meant it.

The only excuse I've ever heard for this is that "replies along news paths
are always sub-optimal", never mind that you're not ever supposed to use
news paths for replies ...

NOTE that if 'bar' above were a full.domain.name then it's legit to re-route
because full.domain.name's are unambiguous whereas unadorned uucp names
in a uucp route *are* ambiguous.

It seems appropriate to say somewhere in here that the only sites which
have the right to use user@host.uucp are the ones who appear in the maps.

>				   S U N
>
>Sun thinks it owns the world.  I send mail from my home machine (vixie.uucp)
>with a From: line like this:
>
>	From: vixie!paul
>
>or like this:
>
>	From: paul@vixie.UUCP (this is ugly and bad)

[Most sites leave it alone, in one of those two forms ... oh, and why is
 the pseudo-domain version ugly?  It's better than the bang form as I
 see it, that is it will be interpretable by non Unix machines.]

[The From_ line is being added to as the message passes through the net,
 as described in both rmail source code and rfc976.]

[Sun rewrites the header to give a reference relative to some internet
 host rather than leaving it as a bare thing which might or might not
 be known at the recipients machine ... namely,

]

>This is EVIL and RUDE.  Sun doesn't talk to vixie.UUCP; replies to the
>message are broken, Sun.COM bounces things that come to it looking like:
>
>	To: vixie!paul@Sun.COM

In this case EVIL and RUDE are much too strong.  It *is* EVIL and RUDE that
Sun is munging the header and then NOT accepting the form into which it
munges the header.  But it is not such a bad thing to munge headers,
especially when the message is going to be passing from a network where
the addressing style works into one where the addressing style doesn't
work or is only supported part of the time.

A case in point which worked for many many years.  The mailer at relay.cs.net
used to accept mail from csnet members and then rewrite the header of the
message to use the %-hack.  That is they would end up with something
like:

	david%uky.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
or	david%ms.uky.edu@relay.cs.net	(after domain conversion)

Why did they do this?  Well, in the beginning it was because a lot of the
mailers on the arpanet wouldn't have been able to handle "david@uky.csnet"
directly.  But they *could* handle "something@csnet-relay.arpa" because
csnet-relay.arpa is in HOSTS.TXT and can easily receive mail.  If they
were thinking of poor UUCP people at all they surely figured that the
UUCP person would know of a uucp<->arpa gateway and use that to reach
csnet-relay.arpa.

Later on a lot of the csnet members acquired proper domain names but
weren't directly connected to the Internet.  MX records were advertised
for these people, but not all mailers knew how to handle MX records.
Again the %-hack comes to the rescue.  Nowadays I think that relay.cs.net
has stopped doing the %-hack for sites which have domain names, but still
do for the few who do not.

What does this have to do with vixie!paul@Sun.COM?  A WHOLE LOT!  The
'!' thingie in there is very much the same thing as the %-hack, just in
a slightly different form.  Some random Internet site, say psuvm.psu.edu
which I happen to know is an IBM mainframe, might not (probably) have
any notion of what paul@vixie.uucp might mean.  I know from personal
painful experience that the mailer in the IBM TCP/IP package cannot use
ANY host names which aren't in HOSTS.TXT *unless* the site has plunked
down the many thousands of dollars they need to have a copy of SQL on
site.  They *only* way which that mailer will be able to have a chance
of handling paul@vixie.uucp is *if* that data-base manager is on site.

That's an example.  All the reasons I gave above for csnet-relay using
the %-hack also apply for Sun rewriting the headers as Paul says they do.

BUT BUT BUT (I'm reminded here of Dr. Strangelove at the end of the
movie when he's asking the Russian Ambassador *why* they would create
such a good deterrent without *telling*anyone*) the employing [!%]-hack
works a *whole*lot*better* if you support it coming back.

[In fact, I'm really surprised that the !-hack isn't supported at Sun,
 it'd be such a trivial thing to put into a sendmail configuration,
 and is directly supported in MMDF].

>The mistake?  Sun is rewriting HEADER sender addresses; it's only supposed
>to rewrite ENVELOPE sender addresses unless the message is passing into the
>internal network (inside Sun).

NO.  gateway sites are supposed to do appropriate header munging so that
sites on both sides of the gateway can understand what the other side is
saying.  But like any language translation excercise it is non-trivial
to do in practice and is a whole lot easier when both sides speak almost
the same language.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/05/88)

Some sites believe that ANYTHING coming in via UUCP must have a bang
path. For example, my outgoing mail leaves killer with this header.

From: Bill Wisner <wisner@killer.dallas.tx.us>

If I send mail to a mailing list, and get a copy back, it often looks
like this:

From: Bill Wisner <foo!bar!gronk!killer.dallas.tx.us!wisner>

As far as I'm concerned, this is EVIL and RUDE. killer.dallas.tx.us
is a perfectly valid domain name, known to UUCP routers and to MX
mailers. IT SHOULD *NOT* BE CONVERTED INTO A BANG PATH!

And while I'm bitching about misbehaving mailers, remind me to
tell you about mcvax sometime..

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (08/05/88)

. oh, and why is
. the pseudo-domain version [pual@vixie.uucp] ugly?
The question contains its answer; .UUCP is not a domain.  You do not help
The Cause by putting out illegal addresses.

[ Sun turns vixie!paul into vixie!paul@sun.com; replies to that address
will bounce.  This has been called Evil and Rude.]
.  It *is* EVIL and RUDE that
.Sun is munging the header and then NOT accepting the form into which it
.munges the header.
Exactly.  Sun is *TRASHING* mail addresses.  If they acted as a responsible
gateway you could say that they are MUNGING headers.  But they don't, they
rewrite everything and won't accept what they put out.  Either be a full
gateway, or leave that game to the Big Boys (harvard, rutgers, uunet, etc).

.  I know from personal
.painful experience that the mailer in the IBM TCP/IP package cannot use
.ANY host names which aren't in HOSTS.TXT *unless* the site has plunked
.down the many thousands of dollars they need to have a copy of SQL on
.site.
Well, I feel pity for the users on that site, but such is the price of
progress.  Any host that still relies on HOSTS.TXT is so woefully behind
the times that I gotta wonder if they could possibly have anything
worthwhile to say to me (semi :-).

As for "-d rutgers" well, I have no problem with Rutger's policies.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (08/05/88)

/ david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) / Aug  4, 1988 /

>What does this have to do with vixie!paul@Sun.COM?  A WHOLE LOT!  The
>'!' thingie in there is very much the same thing as the %-hack, just in
>a slightly different form.  Some random Internet site, say psuvm.psu.edu
>which I happen to know is an IBM mainframe, might not (probably) have
>any notion of what paul@vixie.uucp might mean.

That's all fine and dandy, if you stay out of the UUCP mailers.

But when a message from "vixie!paul@Sun.COM" winds up in the UUCP world,
it's quite likely to be interpreted as
	vixie-->Sun.COM-->mailbox paul
instead of as
	Sun.COM-->vixie-->mailbox paul

So, if sun does insist on performing this "service" (which, apparently, not
everybody wants anyway), they should use "paul%vixie@Sun.COM" instead.

Seems to me, though, that at this stage in the game, sites that play by the
rules should expect sites that don't to bend over backwards to assure
connectivity, instead of it being the other way around.  Any reason why a
machine like psuvm.psu.edu can't refer addresses it can't handle to a
machine that can?

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (William C. Fenner) (08/07/88)

In article <3400003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
|/ david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) / Aug  4, 1988 /
|>
|>What does this have to do with vixie!paul@Sun.COM?  A WHOLE LOT!  The
|>'!' thingie in there is very much the same thing as the %-hack, just in
|>a slightly different form.  Some random Internet site, say psuvm.psu.edu
|>which I happen to know is an IBM mainframe, might not (probably) have
|>any notion of what paul@vixie.uucp might mean.
Actually I think it has a slight notion.

|Seems to me, though, that at this stage in the game, sites that play by the
|rules should expect sites that don't to bend over backwards to assure
|connectivity, instead of it being the other way around.  Any reason why a
|machine like psuvm.psu.edu can't refer addresses it can't handle to a
|machine that can?
Nope.  Actually I think it might... psuvax1.cs.psu.edu knows (or thinks it
knows) all about all the UUCP sites there are... so there's no reason why
it shouldn't (except that IBM writes drain-bamaged software)

  Bill

robert@setting.weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (08/08/88)

In article <3400003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
>But when a message from "vixie!paul@Sun.COM" winds up in the UUCP world,
>it's quite likely to be interpreted as
>	vixie-->Sun.COM-->mailbox paul
>instead of as
>	Sun.COM-->vixie-->mailbox paul

Not only that, but Sun's mailer is very good at ignoring the hostname
part and delivering the mail to some local user with the same login
name.  robert@regulus.Sun.COM has occaisionally been plagued with
masses of mail meant for me (weitek!robert).

Sending mail through sun is a good way to ensure that people you
don't know will read it.

--

    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (08/09/88)

> The only excuse I've ever heard for this is that "replies along news paths
> are always sub-optimal", never mind that you're not ever supposed to use
> news paths for replies ...

You're wrong there.  For instance, try responding by email to this article.
You will use a news path.  Why?  Well, this machine has 4 neighbors, and
the news (e.g., this article) is sent to all of them.  There is therefore
no mail path to this machine that is not a reverse news path, and if you
respond successfully, you will have used a news path.  Q.E.D.

> It seems appropriate to say somewhere in here that the only sites which
> have the right to use user@host.uucp are the ones who appear in the maps.

Huh?  I'll use any mail notation I can get my mailer to accept; it's my
machine (;-).  How are you going to tell what notation I used, anyway?
If my mailer converts the original notation to some canonical form, like
host.uucp!user, there's no way you can reconstruct what I typed, and I'll
have violated your rule with impunity.

> ... many lines deleted...
> [Sun rewrites the header to give a reference relative to some internet
>  host rather than leaving it as a bare thing which might or might not
>  be known at the recipients machine ... namely,
>
> >	From: vixie!paul@Sun.COM
>
> >This is EVIL and RUDE.  Sun doesn't talk to vixie.UUCP; replies to the
> >message are broken, Sun.COM bounces things that come to it looking like:

It is something even more sinful in a computing environment:  it is
ambiguous.  One of the truly general rules is that you should never
mix ! notation with @ notation.  Such a mail path inherently has two
valid meanings, and you are trusting the mailer to pick the right one.
Anyone who's successfully written even one program knows how likely
it is that the little monster will pick the meaning you intended.
(I've wasted a lot of my time illuminating email users as to the
consequences of such a path.  Most of them understand, and wonder
aloud how the email community allows such silliness to continue.)

Isn't email fun?  It's even more fun that theology!  [Though sometimes
I wonder if they aren't converging. ;-]
--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/09/88)

In article <60@minya.UUCP> jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>> The only excuse I've ever heard for this is that "replies along news paths
>> are always sub-optimal", never mind that you're not ever supposed to use
>> news paths for replies ...
>
>You're wrong there.  For instance, try responding by email to this article.
>You will use a news path.  Why?  Well, this machine has 4 neighbors, and
>the news (e.g., this article) is sent to all of them.  There is therefore
>no mail path to this machine that is not a reverse news path, and if you
>respond successfully, you will have used a news path.  Q.E.D.

Just because you were careful and made sure that all your news neighbors
are also mail neighbors doesn't mean that will ALWAYS be the case.  One
way it will not work is if the article happens to pass through the link
between here and psuvm.bitnet.  THe Path: line will be something like:

When it arrives here rmail will see "psuvm.bitnet!...!user" and will
attempt to route to "...!user@psuvm.bitnet".  Now, it will succeed
in doing so since we're directly connected to BITNET and have up-to-date
maps of bitnet and such.  However since the lowest common denominator
of mail on bitnet (which is all I've had the energy to support so far)
limits the local-part to 8 characters, this will fail a lot.

(and does fail a lot from the number of mail messages which bounce
into my mailbox).  (er.. 1 or 2 times a month anyway)

In general there are a number of links on the net which are not
accompanied by UUCP mail links.  One of the older examples is/was
the sites at brl.

Also you should go and check the news installation documents, rfc976,
and whatever the current rfc for the news format.  The news documents
EXPLICITLY say that you should not ever use Path: lines for replies.
And have said that for as long as I can remember (my experience with
this stuff dates back to v2.10.1 beta).

>> It seems appropriate to say somewhere in here that the only sites which
>> have the right to use user@host.uucp are the ones who appear in the maps.
>Huh?  I'll use any mail notation I can get my mailer to accept; it's my
>machine (;-).  How are you going to tell what notation I used, anyway?
>If my mailer converts the original notation to some canonical form, like
>host.uucp!user, there's no way you can reconstruct what I typed, and I'll
>have violated your rule with impunity.

I meant in their outgoing headers, silly

Oh, I know full well that "a!b@d.dom" is ambiguous ... I also know
that the mailer here generates headers which say that when it's
doing rewriting.  One of my backburner projects is to do a rewrite
of the UUCP channel in MMDF and that's one of the things I may
touch on.  Perhaps put in a routine to do a mapping to "b%a@d.dom".
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET
<----
<---- Looking forward to a particularly blatant, talkative and period bikini ...

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (08/11/88)

[isn't this fun?  Why don't we have a talk.routes]

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) replies:
>You're wrong there.  For instance, try responding by email to this article.
>You will use a news path.  Why?  Well, this machine has 4 neighbors, and

Nope.  Here's the Path: line as it arrived here:

A reply from here would go to mit-eddie!minya!jc.  Not a news path.

>[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,

Obviously.

..Bob

--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"What a wonder is USENET; such wholesale production of conjecture from

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (08/18/88)

In article <8528@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) replies:
>> [stuff about replies using a news path]
>
>Nope.  Here's the Path: line as it arrived here:

gawd!  How could anyone want to reply using that path?!?

>A reply from here would go to mit-eddie!minya!jc.  Not a news path.

Much better. Score one for smart mailers choosing the best path.
My thoughts are with Bob on this one.

Brian.

--
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP:..!{uunet!mnetor, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan!brian |