[comp.mail.uucp] How to find BITNET node names from a UUCP-only site?

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (08/16/88)

We are a UUCP-only site but we regularly exchange mail with BITNET
sites via gateways.  From time to time we've had problems establishing
mail contact with a BITNET site when we weren't entirely sure of its
node name (not all of our users are computeroids and they sometimes
make mistakes :-] ).  Is there any mail-based way to inquire about a
BITNET node name?

The case at hand, if anyone's interested, is a node called "ESEVVX"
purportedly at the Universidad de Sevilla in Spain.  Our gateway claims
never to have heard of it (nor of "ESEVAX", which struck me as a
likely spelling if "ESEVVX" was a typo).  We got the "ESEVVX.BITNET"
address from the university letterhead.  Was somebody in Sevilla
hallucinating?

Thanks.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
-- riddle%woton.uucp@cs.utexas.edu  uunet!ut-sally!cs.utexas.edu!woton!riddle

mikulska@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Margaret Mikulska) (08/23/88)

In article <1102@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>sites via gateways.
>
>The case at hand, if anyone's interested, is a node called "ESEVVX"
>purportedly at the Universidad de Sevilla in Spain.  Our gateway claims
>never to have heard of it (nor of "ESEVAX", which struck me as a
>likely spelling if "ESEVVX" was a typo).  We got the "ESEVVX.BITNET"
>address from the university letterhead.  Was somebody in Sevilla
>hallucinating?

Yes. Or was bitten by a tarantula. They are NOT on Bitnet, no matter
what they say. They may be PLANNING on connecting to Bitnet, but it
hasn't happened yet.
Remember that the letterheads are chosen from a catalog by an administ-
rative person, and approved by her/his boss. None of them knows
(usually) much about computer networks.

They are on a DECNET network. As a matter of fact, I sent you e-mail
yesterday, but right after I sent it, I managed to reach ESEVVX.
Unfortunately, I sent it to "postmaster" instead of "system", so I got
"user unknown", but it was "user unknown at node ESEVVX", so I reached
the node as such.

(For more gory details send me e-mail. I'll have more details when and
if "system" will answer me.)

Margaret Mikulska

Department of Computer Science and Engineering, C-014
Institute for Nonlinear Science, R-002

University of California    |	ARPA	: mikulska@cs.ucsd.edu
			    |	or	  mem@inls1.ucsd.edu
at San Diego	            |	UUCP	: sdcsvax!mikulska
			    |   BITNET	: MMIKULSK@UCSD
La Jolla, CA 92093    	    |   voice 	: (619) 534-1452