[comp.mail.uucp] Looking for a uucp link to ON LINE

jay@hqda-ai.ARPA (Jay Hiser) (08/23/88)

I have recently taken over as the system administrator of a large OA
system that had virtually no connections to the outside world before I
added some outgoing modems.  I have a number of users who are (or will
be soon) using a cu interface to the OA software to call TYMNET and
access ON-LINE (correct me if my spelling is off -- I've never used
the system myself).  They are using it to send & receive e-mail.  I
probably have users who are accessing many of the national e-mail systems.

I've also implemented uucp & uucp mail.  I'd like to know how to get
in touch with some of the commercial services that will forward uucp mail.
I'm also interested in any especially good or bad experiences that
anyone has had in dealing with such a service (hint: my users are
extremely unsophisticated).
Thank you,

Jay Heiser    jay@hqda-ai

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/24/88)

In article <10065@hqda-ai.ARPA>, jay@hqda-ai.ARPA (Jay Hiser) writes:
> I've also implemented uucp & uucp mail.  I'd like to know how to get
> in touch with some of the commercial services that will forward uucp mail.

I'm not sure if you're asking about commercial services that will
forward uucp mail to the rest of the "UUCP network" (all of us out
here), or commercial services that will forward their mail to and from
uucp.  If the first, I know of uunet and attmail.  uunet "just"
provides full mail and news feed capabilities, as well as Internet
forwarding.  attmail provides a standard uucp mail connection, or an
interactive dialin uucp mail service for novice users.  attmail also,
I think, lets you send physical mail and mail to fax machines, but
this is just hearsay, since I've never used it.

If the second, I don't know of any.

Good luck!
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)