[comp.mail.uucp] map data, d. files, UUCP project, etc.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (08/24/88)

Rick Adams has pointed out that the d. files are basically silly.

From what I recall of about two years ago, the originally intent was to
phase out the u. files in favor of the d. files as more and more sites
went domainist.  This plan seems to have gone by the wayside, however.

Shane P. McCarron notes that:
>It is only slightly less of an outrage that the UUCP Project refuses to
>list properly registered domains in the d. files....
Shane's jumping the gun.

At the SF Usenix, Mel Pleasant said that the UUCP Project wants to charge
EVERYONE for being listed in the d. files, even those who don't use
Project as their domain registrar.  The rational is that they are
responsible for maintenance of the UUCP zone, some costs will be
incurred.  That may be all well true, but I would like to see them try to
get $150/year out of MIT, Harvard, or BBN (to pick three places at random
:-) just to be listed in the maps.

If push comes to shove, I suppose someone could just be an Internet
coordinator, and post "forged" articles to comp.mail.maps as a freebie
every now and then.  Many people, myself included, know how to do this.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

ahby@bungia.Bungia.MN.ORG (Shane P. McCarron) (08/25/88)

In article <1029@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>Shane P. McCarron notes that:
>>It is only slightly less of an outrage that the UUCP Project refuses to
>>list properly registered domains in the d. files....
>Shane's jumping the gun.
>
>At the SF Usenix, Mel Pleasant said that the UUCP Project wants to charge
>EVERYONE for being listed in the d. files, even those who don't use
>Project as their domain registrar.

Sorry, you're right - I did jump the gun.  What I should have said was
that they refuse to list gratis those domains that are properly
registered but reside solely in the UUCP Zone.  Mea culpa. :-)

>The rational is that they are
>responsible for maintenance of the UUCP zone, some costs will be
>incurred.  That may be all well true, but I would like to see them try to
>get $150/year out of MIT, Harvard, or BBN (to pick three places at random
>:-) just to be listed in the maps.

Your point is a good one.  However, I don't think any of those sites
have to worry.  They are all well know sites who really are Internet
entities.  They don't absolutely NEED to be registered in the UUCP
Zone - it would just be convenient.  We know, of course, that
convenience is clearly not the object of site/domain registration :-)

As to being responsible for the maintenance of the UUCP Zone, I don't
even know what that means.  Does it mean that the NIC police can come
down and say "Hey!  Did those guys pay you a bunch of money that you
aren't earning so that they could be in this map?  I didn't think so
(smugly)...  Move them to the other files so that we won't think they
are in this zone!"  Please...  We are mostly adults here - let's act
like some!

>If push comes to shove, I suppose someone could just be an Internet
>coordinator, and post "forged" articles to comp.mail.maps as a freebie
>every now and then.  Many people, myself included, know how to do this.

I think I need to point that previous remark at you as well Rich.  We
don't want to go breaking what few rules we have on this "network"
just because the power structures are being abused.  If we are going
to supplant the UUCP Zone Administrators (or whatever they are), let's
do it right.  Let's set up an official registry site (like uunet), and
let's have a one time fee to register sites in the Internet and get
them on line.  After that, they are on their own.  No need to lower
ourselves to the level of nameless network personalities.

Remember, when the Object is the Standard, the Message has got to
be...  Whatever that was (SF Usenix keynote address)
--
Shane P. McCarron			UUCP: ahby@bungia.mn.org
Systems Analyst				ATT: +1 612 224-9239

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (08/25/88)

Shane seems to be missing my point.

Many sites like BBN get nothing out of being in the UUCP Zone.  It is to
our benefit -- and the benefit of the outside world, too! -- that we
appear in the UUCP maps.

If the UUCP Project is going to try to charge a true Internet site money
just so that they can appear in the UUCP maps, then there are ways to
avoid this.

The UUCP Project does not own comp.mail.maps as a commercial venture.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.