[comp.mail.uucp] using Path: for mail replies

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/20/88)

This has been dealt with extensively in years past; apparently we need another
round on this topic.

# >Nope.  Here's the Path: line as it arrived here:
#
# gawd!  How could anyone want to reply using that path?!?
#
# >A reply from here would go to mit-eddie!minya!jc.  Not a news path.
#
# Much better. Score one for smart mailers choosing the best path.

What was the "From:" line?

"Path:" lines should be changed in the next release of B/C/TMN News, so
that they don't look so much like UUCP bang-paths.  People get the mistaken
impression that these are useful ways to get mail back to the sender of
an article.  In fact, it often works.

The problems?  (1) the path is almost guaranteed suboptimal.  Netnews
articles flow in eddies and currents, and the path an article took to
get to your system is always longer than what you'd plan if you were
only sending one piece of text from point A to point B.  (2) the path
may include news-only links, or it may include several Internet/NNTP
sites, which are mostly all one mail hop away from each other -- do you
want to send to a!b!c!d when "a" can talk to "d" directly, and when "a"
can speak NetNews but not Mail to "b"?

The solution?  Use the "From:" or "Reply-To:" lines.  They are designed
to be used as targets of "reply".  (At least in Netnews they are.)  You
can either install "smail" and let it find the route in the mail transport
using pathalias-generated data, or you can use the "mailpaths" file in
the "News B 2.11" software, pointing your "internet" to some well-known
host near you that _does_ run something like "smail".

The point of all this?  Since you aren't supposed to use "Path:" lines
to send your e-mail replies to news articles, there is _never_ any good
reason for _anyone_ to optimize their pass-through MTA to deal with this
type of traffic.  This means re-routing MTA's.  It means Rutgers.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (08/21/88)

In article <63@volition.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:

>"Path:" lines should be changed in the next release of B/C/TMN News, so
>that they don't look so much like UUCP bang-paths.  People get the mistaken
>impression that these are useful ways to get mail back to the sender of
>an article.  In fact, it often works.

You contradicted yourself :-).  For sites that keep the uucp maps,
a good procedure is:

1) Look at the From: line address.  If it's in the maps or is a domain
name, use it.

2) If #1 fails, use the Path: line, but actively reroute it.

This method sometimes works where the From: address fails because
someone hasn't sent in a map entry (and believe me, you will never get
everyone to do this).

Sites that don't keep the maps should just use the From: line and punt to
a smarter site.

I'd leave the Path: format alone, but I would provide new versions of
news with a simple way of creating From: lines of the format
"user%sourcesite@registered.site".  Just using sourcesite.uucp doesn't
help for sites that haven't sent in a map entry.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (08/22/88)

In article <63@volition.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
> "Path:" lines should be changed in the next release of B/C/TMN News, so
> that they don't look so much like UUCP bang-paths.  People get the mistaken
> impression that these are useful ways to get mail back to the sender of
> an article.  In fact, it often works.

I understand the problem you've been discussing, but I have rejected (for now)
the idea of eliminating Path lines as available for reply generation. Doing so
would leave an awful lot of small UUCP-only sites (the ones *not* running
smail) in the lurch.

I think that whole (anti-Path) line of argument reflects a kind of elitism
arising from the fact that most of the mail gurus live at sites with expert
sysadmins that are already in the domainist/Internet world. I think it's too
easy for such people to slip into forgetting the vast majority of small
UUCP-only sites and dismissing their needs and concerns as irrelevant -- but
*I* don't intend to.

I'm still a small site, working one 1200-baud phone line from a desktop. I run
smail but it's easy for me to identify with a lot of people who don't have the
experience, or time, or even spare disk space,  to find a copy, bring it up
and administer it.

An alternative I am looking into is bundling the smail software with news and
arranging the news autoconfigure/install sequence to also configure and install
smail. Then everybody really could use From: and Reply-To: lines exclusively.--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: ..!{uunet,att,rutgers!vu-vlsi}!snark!eric  @nets: eric@snark.UUCP
      Post: 22 South Warren Avenue, Malvern, PA 19355  Phone:  (215)-296-5718

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/22/88)

Eric,

I _was_ feeling a bit elitist when I posted that note, and on reflection I
think I should have put a "half :-)" on my proposal to make Path: lines
look less like mail paths.

There is no disk space requirement for smail, other than for the sources
and the binary.  (And if you have room for the netnews software, smail is
peanuts in comparison -- which is why you are able to consider bundling it
with TMN.)

Smail is able to run without a database.  Or, rather, with a truncated
database:

	smart-host	uunet!%s

This assumes that you are one hop from uunet and want to use it to route
your outgoing UUCP mail.  You could, in your case, say:

	smart-host	vu-vlsi!rutgers!%s

Note that the "-" in smart-host may or may not be correct, I don't use it
here since I have a full database.  Check the smail docs.

Registering in the u.* files costs nothing; smail is available for free;
you don't need a full database, or a 32-bit machine to run pathalias since
you don't need to run pathalias; smail will run on SysV or SysIII or BSD,
and probably V7 and Xenix.

I don't see that I'm asking anything unreasonable.  I hope that you do
bundle smail with TMN; it's small, and TMN can then assume its existence.
Make sure that smail is only optionally installed, since many sites will
already have smail or something equivilent and won't want to have to edit
the TMN Makefile to keep their MTAs from being overwritten.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP
Western Research Laboratory	 uunet!decwrl!vixie	   uunet!vixie!paul
Palo Alto, California, USA	  +1 415 853 6600	   +1 415 864 7013

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (08/22/88)

[note redirected followups, this is straying from a mail issue to a news one.]

In article <do0ro#3cRrZV=eric@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>I understand the problem you've been discussing, but I have rejected (for now)
>the idea of eliminating Path lines as available for reply generation.

How about at least defining a standard way to indicate the path is not
a valid mail address?  (This should be true on moderated newsgroups
and articles recieved via recmail.) Would any software break (other
than the already broken software that assumes path is a valid mail
address) if the string following the last ! was null?

(Moderaters who try to ensure the path line contains a uucp mail
path to the poster prevent the article going to those sites
mentioned.)

--
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (08/22/88)

In article <do0ro#3cRrZV=eric@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>> "Path:" lines should be changed in the next release of B/C/TMN News, so
>
>I understand the problem you've been discussing, but I have rejected (for now)
>the idea of eliminating Path lines as available for reply generation. Doing so
>would leave an awful lot of small UUCP-only sites (the ones *not* running
>smail) in the lurch.
>
>An alternative I am looking into is bundling the smail software with news and
>arranging the news autoconfigure/install sequence to also configure and install
>smail. Then everybody really could use From: and Reply-To: lines exclusively.--
The problem is being caused by the news software.  Why not fix it there?
How about making the news software generate what it considers to be the
optimal mail reply address in another header.  Sites that can auto-route
would use the user@site notation from the Reply-to: line, sites that cannot
would construct a path back to the last site that re-routes with whatever
notation is required to request that site to re-route.  (I think the *real*
problem here is that there is no standard way to request a site to
perform routing - then explicit paths could always be left alone).
In case the news feed does not want to deliver your mail replies (att?),
this header could be adjusted to use an alternate route without requiring
additional software.

Les Mikesell

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (08/22/88)

In article <do0ro#3cRrZV=eric@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>I understand the problem you've been discussing, but I have rejected (for now)
>the idea of eliminating Path lines as available for reply generation. Doing so
>would leave an awful lot of small UUCP-only sites (the ones *not* running
>smail) in the lurch.

That's what the "mailpaths" file is for, Eric.  (I hope you provide
similar functionality in 3.0 news!)  Sites with dumb mailers can still
define INTERNET and have mail sent to a smart neighbor for routing.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck@epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) (08/23/88)

writes:
>I understand the problem you've been discussing, but I have rejected (for now)
>the idea of eliminating Path lines as available for reply generation. Doing so
>would leave an awful lot of small UUCP-only sites (the ones *not* running
>smail) in the lurch.

Not so, if news 3.0 supports a feature like the "internet" entry in
news 2.11's "LIBDIR/mailpaths" file.  Then small sites can use the
Internet "From: " address without having to run smail, pathalias, or
receive comp.mail.maps.

The introduction of a totally new version of news is too good an
oportunity to correct past mistakes -- we shouldn't repeat them in
the name of backwards-compatibility if there is a reasonably easy
way to avoid them.

>An alternative I am looking into is bundling the smail software with news and
>arranging the news autoconfigure/install sequence to also configure and install
>smail.

This would be a good thing to do anyway, since larger sites should not
rely on the "internet" entry in "mailpaths" to dump all their mail onto
one internet host.

Duncan

dan@maccs.McMaster.CA (Dan Trottier) (08/24/88)

In article <70@volition.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:

>Registering in the u.* files costs nothing; smail is available for free;
>you don't need a full database, or a 32-bit machine to run pathalias since
>you don't need to run pathalias; smail will run on SysV or SysIII or BSD,
>and probably V7 and Xenix.

The point is that many users out there are not motivated enough or lack the
sources of information that we (administrators of large sites) have access
to. I personally know several people who have Unix workstations/computers
that have never used the C compiler. A lot more software is being sold as
binaries and that is what these people run.

Isn't it time that one of the big Unix distributors (AT&T, Berkeley)

         (-:   -- Sun is just a Value Added Reseller --   :-)

bite the bullet and add a smart mailer to their distribution. This wouldn't
make their Unix incompatible or in any way change base functionality. All
they would need is an rmail that was smart enough to look in a file for a
forwarding host.

Dan Trottier
--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan@mcmaster.BITNET

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (08/25/88)

In article <70@volition.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:

>Registering in the u.* files costs nothing; smail is available for free;
>you don't need a full database, or a 32-bit machine to run pathalias since
>you don't need to run pathalias; smail will run on SysV or SysIII or BSD,
>and probably V7 and Xenix.

We're registered in the u.usa.ct.1 file because it's free, and I have
a copy of smail2.5 (3.x seems to be a myth as far as I can tell) because
it's free.  The skimpy documentation that I got with smail does seem
somewhat elitist:

From the smail 2.5 Read.me file:
  Prerequisites:

  A properly registered domain name for your organization, such
  as ATT.COM.  (It is possible to run smail using a domain name
  under .UUCP, but since this can't be officially registered,
  it is appropriate only for testing.)

From the defs.h file:

**      full domain name is 'hostname.uucp' (get registered!)

and

  /*
   * .UUCP here is just for testing, GET REGISTERED in COM, EDU, etc.
   * See INFO.REGISTRY for details.
   */

I'm still trying to figure out how to use .UUCP because GETTING
REGISTERED isn't free.  It's $150 a year as far as I can tell.
Believe it or not, we don't communicate directly with an
internet site, so we'd have to subscribe to uunet, $35 a month
plus phone costs.  And of course there isn't even an INFO.REGISTRY
file there for me to see.

Now, please don't see this as a flame.  Smail is a good thing,
and pathalias is a good thing, but trying to explain to the
management that's cut spending to the bone that we need to
spend a couple hundred dollars a year for something intangible
is impossible.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

jordan@zooks.ads.com (Jordan Hayes) (08/26/88)

What i'd like to see is an alternative "for the rest of us" ...

I can't turn on INTERNET, because I don't bother to route
user@host.UUCP, but I hate to see all those bang paths go out in
replies ... i'd like it to look for a domain, like INTERNET does, and
if it's "UUCP" (*ugh*), give the bang path (you lose anyway), but if
it's not, give it to me domain-style, since I have an MX-able sendmail
installed and am on the Internet.

Has anyone done this?

/jordan

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/26/88)

2 of 5 for today.

In article <1382@maccs.McMaster.CA> dan@maccs.UUCP (Dan Trottier) writes:
# Isn't it time that one of the big Unix distributors (AT&T, Berkeley)
# bite the bullet and add a smart mailer to their distribution.

Oddly enough, for all their faults, ISC does provide smail and sendmail
with their UNIX V/386 product.  I was amazed.  I'd like to see other
vendors do this, but they're all waiting for X.400 in 1995 before they
decide which way to jump.