[comp.mail.uucp] Setting up Internet domains and UUCP maps

kurt@hi.unm.edu (Kurt Zeilenga) (08/25/88)

Paul Vixie states:
>Either way, you need three things done:
>(1)	you need an NS record in the core servers
>(2)	you need an MX record in the server where your NS points to
>(3)	you need the machine named as your MX to be able to reach you on UUCP

I would just like to point out that the name servers and mail exchangers
need to be setup before authority is delegated from the root servers.
I believe that the NIC actually requires that the name servers be
operational before they will process your registration form.  This being
true (please correct me if I am wrong) implies that it is possible for
you to setup a domain and when you go to register it someone has beaten
you to it.  However, I've never heard of this happening with Internet
domains.

What I have done in that past (I've setup up a few secondary domains) is
to:
	1) obtain primary and secondary servers
	2) obtain MX'er if not directly attached to the Internet
	3) pick appropriate domain name
	4) setup and test name servers and MX'ing.
	5) send registration form to NIC

Note I did not suggest registering the domain in the UUCP maps.  The
maps already provide adequate mechanism for forwarding registered Internet
domains (directly attached or not) and appearance in maps will only
cause mail to be routed completely though UUCP instead of taking a
"short-cut" across the Internet.

For example, GURU.COM does NOT appear in the maps and UUCP sites deliver
mail thru a UUCP-INTERNET gateway.  .UNM.EDU, which does appear in the
maps, gets its mail routed in via SLOW UUCP connections even though we
are directly on Internet.  I am attempting to get UNM to delete all
meantion of UNM.EDU from the maps.  Maybe there is a better way?

Comments on this subject would be appreciated.

dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (where was george?) (08/26/88)

In article <23627@hi.unm.edu> kurt@hi.unm.edu (Kurt Zeilenga) writes:
>maps already provide adequate mechanism for forwarding registered Internet
>domains (directly attached or not) and appearance in maps will only
>cause mail to be routed completely though UUCP instead of taking a
>"short-cut" across the Internet.
>
>For example, GURU.COM does NOT appear in the maps and UUCP sites deliver
>mail thru a UUCP-INTERNET gateway.  .UNM.EDU, which does appear in the
>maps, gets its mail routed in via SLOW UUCP connections even though we
>are directly on Internet.  I am attempting to get UNM to delete all

ah, the old what's a poor internet host that handles pathalias output
supposed to do problem? :-) on seismo & uunet, we have a shell script
that removes all the paths for domains and fully qualified hosts out of
the output of pathalias, except for those that we are the primary
server for.  (an aside ... we have been using `sed' for this filtering
except recently on uunet this scheme failed because we are the primary
for almost a hunderd domains now and we bumped into a hard coded limit
on the number of patterns.  clearly a better method is needed :-) i
believe peter (that is honeyman from dwon!honey) has another scheme he
uses to filter out domains & hosts reachable via smtp as do most of the
other postmasters on machines in this situation.  if you aren't using
the pathalias database for routing of domains at all, then just keep
the simple names and that should do the trick.

dsc

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/26/88)

They tell me I'm posting too much.  Is the quality suffering?

In article <24782@uunet.UU.NET> dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (where was george?) writes:
# ah, the old what's a poor internet host that handles pathalias output
# supposed to do problem? :-) on seismo & uunet, we have a shell script
# that removes all the paths for domains and fully qualified hosts out of
# the output of pathalias, except for those that we are the primary
# server for.

That's one option.  I do this in my IDA-style sendmail.cf by resolving to
SMTP if and only if an MX or A record is found with $[...$].  I search a
database of UUCP exceptions just prior to this, so people I have a local or
Telebit UUCP connection to are gone before $[...$] is run.

If $[...$] doesn't work, I check the pathalias database.

All in sendmail.  No extra forks.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP